Ice

Is it okay for my 11th month old to eat ice? She wants it every time I have some and cries until I give it to her.

RiyahsMommy08

Asked by RiyahsMommy08 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't. It's a large choking hazard.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It's not just a choking hazard. Chewing ice has been proven to lead to cavities. It's a bad habit to start now.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 8:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It's ICE. It melts. I'm not sure I understand how it could be a choking hazard. IF a piece went into her throat, it would melt before she could actually choke.

I've never heard ice chewing ice could cause cavities, honestly. lol I've heard it means you have high blood pressure, though! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It depends on how big a piece. The pieces my fridge makes would not melt quick enough if it got lodged in her throat. While I know how to do the heimlich on my child, I don't want to.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Here's a few articles on how chewing ice can cause cavities and other problems for your teeth:

Is chewing ice bad for my teeth?

Chewing Ice--Don't Do It!

tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 11:21 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Well she only has two teeth so she just sucks on it. I ALWAYS give her very small pieces,
    RiyahsMommy08

Answer by RiyahsMommy08 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• LOL...I was just saying that if she starts now, when will she stop? It is much harder to break a habit than to never start it in the first place...kwim? :D
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 5:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2009