I need help

I have a 15 month old daughter and she will not listen to any thing i say. She will looks right at me and dose things she knows she shouldnt do! I understand that she is only 15 months, but i know she understands what iam saying. Iam not really sure how you punnish some one who is so small, ive tried doing time out and she just screams at me then gets back up, no matter how many times i sit her back down. I dont know what to do and i feel like iam going crazy and that i have no control. The worst thing is i dont want people to think that shes a brat, because she is the sweetest thing in the world

CourtnieR

Asked by CourtnieR at 8:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you still have a playpen or play yard? If so, set it up with no toys.
    You tell her "NO throwing your cars. Let's roll the ball instead." - redirection is the first line of defense at this age.
    If she throws the cars anyway, you pick her up, plop her in the playpen and firmly say "NO THROWING".
    Then you ignore her. Don't leave the room - that can make her panic. But pretend to do something else in the room... read a book, write a shopping list, anything.
    She can be in time-out for a minute per year of age and half minutes are fine... so you might opt for 1.5 minutes at this point.
    And here's the critical thing - timeout starts once she's calm. Let her scream and cry as long as she wants. The punishment phase starts once she's calm.
    Afterwards, pick her up and say:
    I know you were mad when I told you not to throw the cars.
    Throwing toys can break them.
    Let's go find something fun to do instead.

Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I use this when my daughter has tantrums too though without the timeout time. I plop her down on her timeout mat and let her have a "calm down time".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2009