HELP! I don't know what to do with my 7 year old son!

(Posted in another forum) Quick run-down... my 7 year old (also a middle child) is being so awful! He pours water on the floor during baths or showers after I have told him not to. He steals snacks and food from the kitchen (he cleaned out the cheese and turkey this afternoon). I don't starve him! We have 3 meals and 3 snacks a day! He is getting more destructive and has no respect for other people's things. He even started taking change from my change jar and claiming he "found" the money throughout the house! He lies constantly. I found th wrappers for the cheese hidden behind my sofa (along with candy wrappers and I don't know where he even got the candy from!). I have tried putting him in the corner, giving him extra chores, talking to him, making him write lines, giving him one on one mommy time (and reading the boy who cried wolf). I don't know what else to do! Does anyone have any ideas?

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 8:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think it must be a stage or something because my step daughter did a lot of similar things - the taking things and getting into stuff she wasn't suppose to on purpose.

my advice make strict consequences and stick to them. ground him from things when you find things in his room or possession that shouldn;t be. if he is getting into snacks when he isn't suppose to take away his normal snack. make him clean up his messes.

make him go to bed early. my bf and i spank my sks, so if he is being disrespectul..there you go. make it so that he gets home, does homework goes to his room (no video games, phone, tv, etc) eats dinner and goes to bed.

....i don;t know. i would be very strict with him. make him know that you are serious. but also make sure he knows that you don't want to have to do all this, but this behavior is unacceptable and that he is old enough to know better, etc.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• well since he's old enough to know better, maybe make deals with him..lets just say, if he doesnt pour water out of the tub, he gets to stay in longer or something like that?
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Try natural consequences, he pours the water out of the tub he cleans the bathroom floor, he raids the kitchen he doesn't get the next snack- and if you want to make it really hurt give the other kids a really special snack, he hides food wrappers he cleans the living room, etc....
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Oh I am so glad I havent had to deal with this YET! I agree mostly with goaliemom though. Make the punishment fit the crime.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 9:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• also, don't reward a child for doing something that is expected behavior. you shouldnt have to reward your child for not pouring water on the floor in a bath.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Maybe try and make up a chart. Allow him to place the stickers on the chart when he does well. If he gets all the stickers for a whole week then you can do something special with him. Maybe like a trip to the park to the playground, or going to the movies. Fun stuff that will make him want to do good. Hopefully he will see that doing good will get him positive reactions from you and this just may work.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i like what kellyjude says...
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Put him in a Christian School, He will learn how to behave.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

Please do NOT make me laugh! My 17 year old spent 2 years in a Christian school and let me tell you- Those kids were worse than public school children.....even the preacher's son. They're just better sneaks!

BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Well yes KCEA are the strict variety if you really like rules go with a KCEA Christian School. I agree kids can be mean in suddle ways but at least he will know better and learn right from wrong with the reasoning behind it! There is a lot more control than public schools I have been to all kinds, 5 diff schools but I wanted to return to the KCEA approved Christian school,the kids were the nicest and the feeling was family!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:04 AM on Feb. 28, 2009