What do you do to comfort your baby....

My 10-month old has a cold and I know I can't give her any medicine but I want to make her more comfortable. And, no, I don't have money for a humidifier (I'm saving, though) Thank you, ladies!

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 8:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can take her for an evening stroll if it's cool out. That shrinks the capillaries and might help to facilitate better breathing. Othewise, steam shower, bath, prop her up in a bouncy seat or swing to drain.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i have always heard that you can turn the shower on or the bath really hot and shut the bathroom doors so the room fills with steam and it functions similar to a humidifier....

i have never tried it, but people have told me it works
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I also put a book underneath her mattress on one side to prop her up so she's not flat. Also use the little bulb thingie to suck out the snot... my ped gave me a homemade remedy for nasal drops...

4 oz warm water, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp baking soda.
    drop a few drops in each nostril and suck it out with the blue bulb thing. It really helps to loosen the goop that's up there! Good luck :)
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 9:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My daughter got colds a lot. The best thing we ever bought for her is a battery operated nose suction. It plays music and got all the snot out of her nose. We don't have to be exactly at her nose to suck it out too. It's about $24 and worth every penny. We purchased a humidifier, and it did not help so I don't think you should waste your money on that. Shower steam is good enough for the baby. Also we have nasal saline and it works beautifully to break out big nasty mucous. We put one drop in one side of her nose and suck it out. Never put it on both, because one side should always be clear so they can breathe. Hope some of the tips can help you out. I am sure you are doing the best you can. Good luck.
    denswife

Answer by denswife at 12:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2009