I'm 16 and expecting my first...

is there any advice you can give me on what i need and what i should ask my doctor i am planning on having a natural birth no drugs and breast feeding i'm just looking for advice on what i should get and do to prepare for my son...

scared_mommy16

Asked by scared_mommy16 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i became a mom at 19. it is hard. i wont lie to you. childbirth is painful. i had an epidural and it still hurt. im not trying to change your mind on a natural birth but i want you to know all the facts.
    your life will be changed forever. feel free to pm me anytime for any questions you have. i will be happy to answer them w/o judging you, etc. good luck and i think its great that you want to do it the way that you want to do it.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Make sure your doctor cares just as much as you do about natural child birth & breastfeeding as you do. Some dr.s care ... Some drs really dont & as soon as you go into labor they will ask you if you want meds (and in labor you WILL say yes! You must have an advocate that will help you have the experience you wish for. in labor you are not totally thinking correctly & sometimes need help staying focused on what you really want). The hospital you deliver at, ask if there is a lactaction consultant available for you, they can be very helpful. I had one come in every 3 or 6hrs to check in on me & if i wanted i could have called her at any time to come to my room..
    Make a birth plan! Educate yourself on drugs-even though you DONT want them. educate yourself on them so you can remeber WHY u dont want them, who will be there when u are giving labor. educate them why its so important NL is important to you.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• besides the obvious, like a crib and things. ...please PLEASE go to amazon.com and order yourself "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears. if you get it used it might be less then 20 dollars. It will answer sooooo many of your questions in regards to sooooo many things.
    Also, I AM SOOOO HAPPY TO HEAR THAT YOU PLAN ON A NATURAL BIRTH AND BREASTFEEDING!!!!!!!!! Good for you Momma. i love to hear that.
    you might consider getting a baby wrap so that you can babywear. it has many benefits for you and baby.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t051100.asp

Also, remember to think for yourself. Do your own research. If someone says Vaccines are good for your kid LOOK IT UP. if someone says that kool aid is healthy LOOK IT UP. just get as much info as you can.
    good luck momma.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• make sure they want what you want! (my dh believed in me to give NL, my mom thought i was stupid & crazy!).... Also are you OK with having an IV? as soon as you go in to the hospital they will want to put that on you. personally if you are wanting a NL then Id talk about NOT getting one. the iv makes it easier for them to shoot u up with whatever in 1 shot.
    after figuring out everything about your L&D you also need to think about what they do with your child. Do you want them to sit baby on you? or is it ok for the child to go to a table to get the his score (forgot what its called right now-abgars?) ... do u want child to get certain shots? there is stuff they put in there eyes, do u want baby to have this?
    You can have as much control as you would like. or you dont have to. Feel free to PM also joining natural birthing groups on cm will help you with alot of your questions. good luck! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• JMO, but I've given birth 2 times & had an epidural with both, but with the 2nd one, labor was going SO fast that my youngest was actually born before the epidural kicked in. I would MUCH RATHER give birth being numb from the waist down, having the epidural effective than not! Everyone has their own opinion, but in mine, epidurals ROCK! So does breastfeeding!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 9:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• my boyfriend doesn't think i can do it but i really want this so i'm going to work as hard as i can to get to my goal or a natural birth :]
    scared_mommy16

Answer by scared_mommy16 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• you just need the right books and the right kind of info ...here's a site with a good article for many good reasons NOT to get the epidural or the IV. have your SO read it and see if it sways his mind at all
    http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/ecstatic.html
    also, if you are worried about the pain consider doing some research on hypnobabies and water births.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• they don't do water births here sadly that was one thing i really wanted but they don't do them here and i'm not really worried about the pain i know it's all worth it because in the end i will see my baby and be happy and all the pain will have been for the best reason ever bringing my son into this world :]
    scared_mommy16

Answer by scared_mommy16 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i'm glad you have that positive attitude.
    however, ...you can do a water birth at home. ...if you are a low risk pregnancy it is actually SAFER to have your baby at home.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i've had bleeding during the first trimester and i had cervical cancer that i had to get treated and stuff plus i feel safer at the hospital...
    scared_mommy16

Answer by scared_mommy16 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2009