Labial Adhesioin??

I took my 3 month old daughter to the dr. today and they told me she has a labial adhesion and a UTI and a right kidney infection. They gave her a shot of antibiotics and wrote her a prescription for antibiotics and an estrogen cream for the labial adhesion. I'm a little freaked out about the estrogen cream....any body go through this with their daughter? what happened? thank you!

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My older dd had labial adhesions diagnosed at her 2 month well baby check. We did use estrogen cream for awhile- I used it daily for a month or so, then every few days, then periodically when I noticed the area closing up again. Within three or four months we never had to use it again. She is now almost five and this has not been an issue since infancy. The only side effect she experienced from the estrogen were temporary 'breast buds' (thickening of tissue under the nipples.) It was minor and went away once we didn't use the cream every day. Is your doctor linking the UTI to the labial adhesions? They are apparently a risk factor for UTIs... if your doc believes there is a link I would think that a short course of estrogen cream to release the adhesions and decrease the growth of bacteria would be the lesser of two evils. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My daughter had a labial adhesion. We did not use the estrogen cream. It cleared up on it's own in a month. I can't give you advice on the estrogen cream, it might be a good idea as a precaution with all her other issues, I just don't know enough about this to give advice. I just know I *wouldn't* use it unless seriously necessary and for us it wasn't. My daughters old pedi doesn't even prescribe it like many docs do routinely.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2009