is he ready for potty traning?

my second son is 2yrs and 6months.. Just so confused because I think he seems ready to start potty training. He has all the signs.. but when it comes down to it, he wont go on the potty.

2006Mommy

Asked by 2006Mommy at 9:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son was fully toilet learned by 2 yrs and 6 months. ...You can actually START the basics of toilet learning when they are just over a year to a year and a half.
    so yes. you might really want to start potty training him.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• get him a potty and let him put stickers on it to make it his own it'll make him feel better about the potty
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 9:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I AGREE W/ aubrees mommie SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DramaQueen1030

Answer by DramaQueen1030 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My son is fourteen months and we practice with the potty but I dont push him. What he does is "potty face" and a "potty dance" and ask him if he has to go potty and we run to the potty and sit down and sing a song. Sometimes he goes sometimes he doesn't. Just make it fun and relaxed I think, no pressure try to use books as aids
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Having the signs means he is ready and able to learn. Not that he knows what to do. He has to learn to link that funny feeling in his tummy with the funny feeling of going. It's not automatic.
    You just keep taking him at set intervals - usually once an hour to start. Once he accidently goes (or even goes on purpose), make a big fuss over it. I actually let me daughter run around without pants. When I saw her starting to pee, I said things like "Oh My! You're peeing! Let's get you to the potty" in a really happy voice. Then I quickly carried her off to the potty. The first few times she actually stopped going and finished about 20 mintues later while she was running around. Then she started to go and before I could do anything, she stopped and ran over to the potty.
    Just remember that he will quckly learn that going to the potty means leaving his play. Don't ask him if he has to go, take him - for the next year.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• you can tell him that he needs to sit and you will count to 10/15/30 whatever amount of time that you want. And as soon as you are finished counting he can get up. if you tell him that he doesn't need to go but he has to atleast TRY. that's a good start. boys tend to take longer to potty train than girls, but before he goes to any preschool they have to be potty trained by 3.

you can also put cheerios in the toilet and have him aim for them. You can get your husband to show him how. Encourage your husband to do a lot of the potty training since they are both boys.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2009