How much of a donation do you give?

Weather it is money or clothes or what have you.

What if there was an unfortunate death for someone and they are asking for donations to help pay for bills and funeral. How much is enough?

I don't want to be cheap about it but I don't want to give my whole check either if I knew it would help I would but it won't be enough. Thank you .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• If it is someone at work I would give what other are giving or close to it, if it is family or friends I woudl give what I could afford.
    Anonymous

• I would give her whatever I felt was right. It's NOT the amount of money, but rather the gesture and thought:)
    Anonymous

• I normally don't give for funerals becasue I feel they should just get insurance to pay for the funeral. It's life. In that situation I don't donate money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I give free cloth diapers made from recycled clothing all the time and mama pads made from recycled clothing and if I can get baby clothing out of some of the clothing I make some shirts and pants and sleepers. Its something small I can do to help out. I dont have lots of money, so I donate my skills to charity. I am hoping to make an organization for this, but dont know how.
    Family, I give what I can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I give whatever is needed. But I also use wisdom. I just always remember would I want someone to do the same for me. You get what you give!
    usanamama

Answer by usanamama at 10:03 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• When my dad died the neighborhood took up a small collection, even though he had good life insurance. Not everyone has life insurance..(I dont) Almost $300 was needed to scroll his name on the gravestone, which is not covered by insurance, so it was a big help.
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It is a donation so any amount would be appreciated. Be honest with your budget of what you can afford to give.... maybe that means you give $10 or $500...or just offer to help with food or childcare for free for the few days they need help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Give according to what you can genuinely afford and also how close you are to the people. As for not giving money to funerals, I think you could make that same argument about anything at all. Injury or health problems? What about insurance? The fact is that not everyone can afford insurance and even if you believed that, it would be the loved ones who are left with the bill, not the person who failed to obtain life insurance..... Anyway, we give out of love and compassion. It is not about the amount of money, really. Don't leave yourself without money to pay your own bills, but give what you think is right.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2009