What the heck is going on with my 5 yr. old daughter?

She has been having a fever since Tuesday off and on and on Wednesday I made an appointment for Friday. Well here we are Friday and I went ahead and send her to school because she was feeling better but yet she comes home feeling like crap again. (I did cancel her app. for Friday) bc she was feeling better. This crazy fever just comes and goes and then there are moments that she looks like she is feeling better then she starts to lay down like she is not feeling any better. I can tell she is sick this is not like her to act this way. It being the weekend I have to wait til Monday to walk in the doctors office. I have been giving her Ibuprofen and Tyleno they seem to help for now. Any suggestions. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you give her tylonol or motrin because I have heard that it you let her break the fever on her own that is the best, unless it get way up there. Then it might go away for good.
    Anonymous

• Mono maybe? Take her and have bloodwork done.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i would call the doctor and leave a message and see what they tell you to do. my doctor;s office has walk-ins on saturday before noon.

i would also try to have her rest even when she seems to be feeling better. a lot of times kids when they start to feel better can over do it. they start acting all great because they feel a little better and then crash later because they have worn themselves out since their body is still fighting what ever it is they have.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Today is only day 3...and most viruses last 3-5 days, even a week, so it has not been very long.

Fevers can come and go with a virus. Especially they tend to come more at night, that is when your body temp is higher anyway.

If she is not better by the end of the weekend then take her in or take her to an urgent care if her fever or symptoms get worse before then.

In the meantime if it's under 102 I would let the fever ride out instead of pushing meds and just let her have plenty of rest and fluids this weekend.
    Anonymous

• Also could be molars! One of the Moms at Z's school said her little guy was getting them.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• First, I wouldn't worry. My kids have gotten fevers that have lasted from a week-to-ten days just from a simple virus. I'm sure it's nothing serious, though I know you willl still worry, I do the same thing<<>> I know how worrying it can be. Your taking her to the docotor on Monday so that's good, he/she will want to see her since she's had a fever for more than three days. Strep is going around in my area, maybe it could be that. Also, that is exactly how my son was when he had an ear infection. Hang in there....I hope she feels better soon, it's so hard when they're sick.
    lisamomfor3

Answer by lisamomfor3 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Does she have any strange rashes,bumps?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2009