Attitude from a 7 year old

My SD will be 7 next month. Lately she has been giving us a lot of attitude and has been very whiny and bratty. For example, my mom picks her up from school every day. For the first half hour she is with her she wont speak to my mom, even if my mom asks her a question. I have talked with her about this and things got better for about 4 days. Today we took her to the store to get a gift for her friends birthday party. I spotted something she wants and told her she should get that for her friend, and she told me she didn't want to get that for her because it wouldn't be fare and wanted to get her a doll that 2 minutes before that she said it was "just a boring doll" When I told her she should get the other thing she stood in the store crying about it. I wanted to go home and tell her she couldn't go to the party but my SO thinks I'm being too harsh. What other suggestions do you have?

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 10:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you are not being too harsh! do not reward bad attitude and whiney-ness. if a child cries because they aren't getting their way that should not result in getting what they want. i odn't think i would keep her from going off of that one event. but i would definately have taken her home. if you give into the brat-ness now just wait till later. also, the not talking to your mom. she needs more than a good talking to. she needs some sort of punishmetn. that is being disrespectful and unappreciative. i am not sure what i would make the punishment be, but she has to learn how to behave and if you let her start acting out at 7 just wait for when she is a teenager.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• SO sounds like he has been to easy on her and has created a brat.

She sounds like she needs good old fashioned time in the wood shed (as Andy Griffith says) a spanking!!!
    Anonymous

• thank you anon. lol
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Less talking..................more spanking!!! LOL.....just kidding, sort of. I think people (in general) are too easy on kids and they turn into this. Uggg.
    Anonymous

• I have a 7 yo and going through the samething but it is an everyday fight with her about something. I get so stressed out. I have tryed talking with her sanding her in corners and thretening her. nothing works. So I take stuff away. Like right now she is grounded for the weekend from her bike, computer and Wii and it works sometimes. For the whole weekend she will be good so she gets that stuff back. But after she gets it back she starts acting up again. I heard its a fase and they grow out of it. But ur rite not to let her go to the party. Maybe if u take that away she will change. But much luck to u. I hope things work out.
    3girls79762

Answer by 3girls79762 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• lol my 6 yo is bratness to the max-the other day she slammed her door which is a no no in our house-i said do it again and I am taking the door-she said you can't take it its mine I told her to watch and see then-About 10 min later she slammed it again-I went and got the screwdriver and the door is now leaned up against one of the walls in my bedroom. she is mad still but has calmed down from it.
    crazy_mum

Answer by crazy_mum at 6:31 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Don't forget to reinforce good behavior. Give your girl a hug when she is being sweet and say, "I really love it when you are being nice like this. Be nice like this to grandma tomorrow." We also have a thing in our house called squeezing the nasties out. If your girl is being a brat, pick her up and give her a big firm hug. "oops, there goes a nasty, just a little nasty though. I think there are a few more in there."
    AnnHah

Answer by AnnHah at 11:14 AM on Feb. 28, 2009