Isn't this AWFUL....the POOR woman!

"A British coroner has concluded that an 11-day-old baby girl died after her mother accidentally infected her with a strain of the herpes virus that causes cold sores on the mouth and face, Agence France-Presse reports."

Isn't this so sad? I am pretty sure everone will agree but I also thought I would get this out there. I would never have thought of this. I don't have herpes but it also says the woman had flu like symptoms and this might have also transmitted through breastmilk.

Another question would be ...Do you think that the risks of your overall health and the foods you eat being able to be transfered through breastmilk are focused on enough? I know I was warned about caffine but not illness!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,501767,00.html

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• wow... this is sad... i don't know they do it over in england but i know when i was prego i got tested for everything under the sun... i would want to be sure i am 100% healthy before bfing and giving it to my child....omg that woman must feel horrible...

things like this def. need to be out there more... women need to be educated about things like this...caffine is important yes but diseases are waayyyy higher on the scales...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Here in AMerica we give the eye gel to all babies born so they don't get herpes like that. Do they do that in Britian. We even give it to people who do not think they have herpes. It is jsut standard.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I did not know that karrie! Is that right after they are born?
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• The gel is for gonorrhea not herpes. No gel will kill the herpes virus.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'd personally like more info on this case. When I had my first son the stress of labour made me break out with a cold sore (a form of the herpes virus). The nurses warned me to wipe it with alcohol wipes, but he ended up being exposed and now has the herpes virus (cold sores) too. I do not have herpes on my genitals, but it is a form of the same virus. My son was exposed at birth, he was breastfed and he is a normal healthy 10 year old who happens to get cold sores. I'd think there is more to it than baby just being exposed to the herpes virus. Did he have a suppressed immune system? Or an extra virulent form of the virus? I don't know, it seems off to me.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• canadianmom1974:
    that's what I was thinking.. that there is more.. especially if she had flu like symptons. However I feel sorry for this woman, she must be heartbroken.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:03 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Herpes isn't passed through the breast milk. If she had herpes sores on her breasts, it could be passed through contact. But...If she had a genital outbreak or asymtomatic shedding during the time of delivery, it can be spread to the infant, and yes it can kill them. The virus that causes coldsores is HSV1 and can be anywhere on the body. Not just the face. HSV2 (genital herpes) can also be anywhere on the body. It just depends on where you came in contact with it. This is probably one of the most misunderstood diseases ever. I wish people would do more research on it.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 12:06 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• it is sad. im sure she is devastated but it sounds like she had no clue and it was just one of those freak things that happened. Herpes is a sneaky disease since it doesnt always APPEAR top be present
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• peppermintmocha : perhaps you can post a link so that we can learn more about it. passing the word about issues like these can save lives.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• This is a travesty. Sure hope this wasn't because of a lack of medical treatment on the DR/medical ctr part.. As we all know~It's only a matter of time till Dacshle, Pelosi, and Ried determine what type of Health care procedures are best and most affordable for Americans.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:52 AM on Feb. 28, 2009