DOubling coupons

So today I went to Kmart for their double coupon thingy (my first time!) I saved a crap load of money but noticed some coupons wont actually double. Does anyone know what that is all about? Also what all stores double coupons? Any help is appreciated since I am new to the whole coupon thing. OH and where do you guys get all your coupons?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• You will not get overage. Let's say you buy an item that costs $3.50 and your coupon is for $2.00. You will get the value of the coupon ($2.00), but they won't double it because it would go over the amount of the item. The doubled amount would be $1.50. Does that make sense? The cashier also has to match the coupon to the right item, which they don't always do. Some coupons are simply not meant to double. If the first number under the bar code is a 9, it will not double. Only coupons that start with a 5 will double.

You have to ask customer service at a particular store to see what their policy on doubling is. Some don't do it at all. Some double (or even triple) only in certain regions or on certain days.

I get most of my coupons in the Sunday paper or online. If it's a good week, I'll buy multiple papers. I also take my mom's inserts once she's done clipping. Look for instore tearpads and blinkie machines. Good luck!
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 10:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Here's some links to printable coupons. Not all stores accept them, so it's best to ask first. I never have any problems using them.

coupons.com
    smartsource.com
    couponbug.com
    eversave.com

Also check out websites such as Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, and Boxtops For Education. They also have printables too.

Afullcup.com is a great resource for couponers. You'll find everything you need to become a pro in no time.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 10:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Thanks lovinmystar for the info. I have started using coupons and was wondering how this all works.
    charjaxx

Answer by charjaxx at 1:00 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I buy the Sunday Chicago Tribune, most cities sell copies not just Chicago. There are TONS of coupons in that paper. Kroger stores double their coupons up to $1.00 every day.
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 10:30 AM on Feb. 28, 2009