Should I rat him out? UPDATE

Well I ended up not sending BM a message, I just waited until I saw SS today. According to him, his mom made a deal with him that if he writes down all his assignments in his agenda, has her sign it, and shows her the completed work, he can play his playstation. But get this, he can play for 3 hours a day! WTF!! He doesn't even get home from school until after 4 pm, throw in time for dinner, shower, and homework, how does he have 3 hours to play video games. Shouldn't he maybe spend 3 hours, oh I don't know, studying!! I just don't get this woman. And what keeps him from lying (which he does all the time to her) and saying that there was no work to write down? I just can't wrap my brain around this. Is it just me, or does anyone else think 3 hours a day, after school, is way too much video time? I so wish we could get full custody so I could home-school him and get him back on track.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 10:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I agree that 3 hours after school is too much time. Maybe i'd be okay with possibly allowing an hour. on schoolnights. and 3 hours on weekends.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• that's what I was thinking. But considering that he is failing 4 classes, I probably would have started with 20 minutes, and made him work his way up from there to an hour.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 10 and I allow her to play with her friends until 6 pm (after she finishes HW which I check on the teachers website). Then allow her one hour of computer time a day (we don't have game systems except an educational one). That allows an hour and a half to eat dinner, get a shower etc. But then again she has been all A's this year. She goes to bed at 9:30 and is asleep by 10:00 if she gets more than 8 hours of sleep she is a grouch. She does best on 6 hours but won't do that on school nights. Not to mention she does not have computer time but 3 days a week and unlimited on weekends as long as I am not on it.
    tifanishelby

Answer by tifanishelby at 12:22 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Three hours is a lot! I'd get bored doing the same thing for 3 hours even if I were a kid!
    No three hours in the afternoon is way too much. He's probably staying up too late too would
    be my guess to play the games.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:25 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It is hard with split custody arrangements.....You have different ideas than the ones his mother has. That is complicated. I tend to agree with you, but you do acknowledge that you don't have complete control over this situation. I guess you have no choice but to compromise.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:02 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I have 2 boys and I don't allow no t.v, no video games Mon-Thur ...After homework dinner ,shower and 30 minutes of reading before 7:30 bedtime.I've had them on this schedule for awhile now and it has worked out great with no headaches or drama ....
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2009