Has anyone ever had suspisions about their child being autistic? Why?

My dd is 3 and I still wonder here and there. She is just different sometimes. We are not currently seeking a dianosis because of fear of misdiagnosis and she is recieving ALL the therapy she can get right now anyways.

Just wondered if anyone else delt with this nagging question in their minds everyday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes, our son was on the spectrum, and we were worried about our daughter. She was doing some things that were similar to autism. We got her a diagnosis at age four. She has ADHD. I have to say, it is a good thing having a diagnosis. We qualify for some of the programs offered by the Regional Center for disabled kids. My husband took an eight week course on parenting a special needs child for $25 with help from Regional. he made a lot of friends and learned how to work better with our son. We were able to pinpoint what was wrong with our son so we could plan out future therapies. When the school district said he wasn't "autistic enough" for special ed, we had the diagnosis to show them he belonged in special ed. Our son is blossoming academically {still needs help with licking, lining things up, and nudity, but we take what we can get} I know the diagnosis (dx) is a scary thing, but I really recommend it.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Oh and as for our daughter, the dx helped with a behavior plan at school. We have more help from the school counselors, and she is doing better. Not great, but better!
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Yes we did...they are currently being evaluated and my oldest started the evaluation process at 3. He is now 5 and is receiving a diagnosis. It takes that long some times.

I strongly recommend that if you have suspicions, you start the process. She may be receiving therapy now (my son was receiving OT the whole time) but if she is on the spectrum, there are different and many other programs she can be a part of to help her now.

Yes it is harder to diagnose this early...and there are SOMETIMES a misdiagnosis...so, if that happens it changes. At least you know you've done all you can to help her along.

Even though we now have a diagnosis, we also realize it could change next year. It all depends how a child reacts to intensive therapies and how they develop.

Early invention is key...why wait? If there is anything else going on with her, she can receive other services...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I was suspect about a child I watched. He ended up with a diagnosis of cerbal palsy. He could not walk until around two and a half. He had poor muscle tone. He could not talk well or even remotely understandable and that was when he was four. He would get excited and flap his arms around. He watched the same show over and over, got surprised and excited over the same scenes. He was not age appropriate, acted much younger than his infant sisters in many ways. Sad. He's doing much better now.
    Anonymous

• My son flapped his hands like a little bird, he panicked in public places, too much going on or too many people and he flipped out, he had 9 words and then barely spoke. I read Jenny Mccarthys book and cried..my son had the "seizures" though they werent seizures it was a sleep deprivation thing, he has several other medical issues too, we had him tested at 15 mos old, too early for most but I demanded it,, he was put on the spectrum and gets therapy 5 days a week. I pay for some the state pays the rest. The EARLIER you open that window and get working the better chances are of helping them improve. By the age of 3 most kids have already learned so much..I say RUN to get the diagnosis, whatever it may be so you can help your child as much as you possibly can before there is any permanent damage that cant be erased. Check out Autism speaks its a great website.
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 8:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Yep and my oldest is autistic. I suspected it because he acts just like me and I have autism.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I have a 9 year old with aspergers and a 6 year old with autism. Both were diagnosed around the age of 3. I recomend autism for dummies. A true diagnosis will get you excellent services for your child. Early education really is the key! Need any info just send me a message.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 11:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• Just saw this  and wanted to let you look at a site www.sharethecause.com/hastily   Email me for further info jmcansler@gmail.com  This might be something that can help you and your child.  Would love to help.  I am a mother of 4, registered nurse and always looking for an alternative way to health. 

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 5:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2009