Whats wrong with an IV?

Ok when I was having my on I had one because I needed fluids in me and then I had to be put on magnesium suflate and pitocin because I was induced because of pre-eclampsia.That was what the mag was for.I did end up with a c-section oh well I don't mind but I will be trying for a VBAC and no epidural or any other drug.I don't mind having the IV in though for fluids.I know though that some people say if you want to go natural then you shouldn't have an IV but why not if its just fluids?I did get to labor with my son for 13 hours total but also due to the mag it also stops labor so therefore I never progressed.So I justwanted to know why some people suggest no IV if your going for a natural labor?

krystaldawn_21

Asked by krystaldawn_21 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have no idea but my guess would be because a lot of people like to able to walk around, take a bath and change positions in a natural labor. You cant do those things with an IV.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• The fear is that nurses have been known to put things in the IV against your wishes AND you shouldn't need fluids.. the IV is another thing to keep you attached to machinery and can get in the way. IF you feel you want one, you can get a Hep Lock IV and have fluids IF you feel they are necessary.

IVs generally aren't necessary, and if they became necessary it's a simple procedure to get them placed in, or you have a hep lock in but it's not attached to anything.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• The IV"s usually have pitocin in them, or if it doesnt, it's easy to add it later without your consent when they get tired of you being in the hospital. if you wanna go natural you cant get the pit.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I work in labor and delivery and there isn't pitocin in the ivs lol. Some people need IVS for certain reasons.
    Anonymous

• anon, I have met many women who have had pit introduced without their knowledge into the IVs
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• At our hospital, IV's are required, even if you're doing a natural labor.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I had an IV for strep B and Preeclampsia. I never had any Pitocin. The Iv didn't bother me one bit. I am sure I will have one this time also because I am having a c-section.
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 12:14 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• The only reason they say you shouldn't have one during natural labor is because it limits your mobility. as for the thought of them putting pitocin in your IV sounds like a bunch of hocus pocus to me. I'm pretty sure you are not drugged up to not notice them messing with your fluids or putting something in and you are alert enough to ask them what they are doing to your IV. You have the right to be informed. Sounds like some women suffer from paranoia.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• and for the fact that they won't let you eat or drink after you have an IV placed which is recommended during natural birth. My suggestion is do most of your labor at home so you aren't bombarded with nurses offering you drugs and you aren't monitored and bedridden the whole time. I was going to do that before we scheduled an induction.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2009