Crawling or Sitting?

My son is 7 months old, and he cannot sit by himself, or sit well with help, and he cannot crawl, but he can scoot. is that normal? I know babies develop at different ages, but the doctor is even worried about this.

calmmom_uhoh

Asked by calmmom_uhoh at 11:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol i hope so my daughter is 6 1/2 months and she can sit with my help but she cant crawl or sit up bu her self.
    she hates being on her stomach...but no kid is the same they are all different. I didnt walk unil i was 11 mos and my hubby walked at 9 months
    MiLeesMommy08

Answer by MiLeesMommy08 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think at 7 months my son was sitting with help, i dont remember if he was sitting by himself though. I know he was not crawling, I dont think he was even scooting. He had no interest in being mobile at all until he was 11 months old and all of the sudden started crawling. A week later he took off walking and hasnt sat still since. I wouldnt worry too much. All children are different, just keep working with him.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My DD is 6 m/o and doesn' t quite sit by herself and doesn't crawl or scoot...She hates tummy time too...she's finally good at rolling over...don't let the docs freak you out...the way I look at it is sometimes drs. have all the book smarts but not a whole lot of common sense all of the time.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My son will be 7 months on Tuesday and is doing the exact same thing! He can scoot and is trying to crawl, but he can't sit up on his own yet. I thought most babies did the sitting thing first, but I guess mine won't. He's still hitting every other milestone though so I'm not worried.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• thanks! I'm just not sure about his dr She tells me not to feed my son real food but the WIC nutritionist told me to start him on solids now that he's this old.
    calmmom_uhoh

Answer by calmmom_uhoh at 11:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• do what you are comfortable with. As for the WIC nutritionist...if you wic program is anything like ours i wouldnt worry too much about what they say. I got into a disagreement with our wic nutritionist over rather or not cheese and yogurt are in "the milk group". Her defense was "obviously those are not milk!" Really??
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• every baby does their own thing. at 6 mos, kyrie was sitting unassisted and crawling backwards. at 7 mos she started crawling forward, and sitting from the crawling position. she is 8 months today, and within the past week or so has been pulling herself up to a standing position and walks holding onto things. it's great, and i'm glad, but i wish she could have been a "baby" for longer.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:35 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Have you tried an exersaucer? I think it helps to learn to use their muscles to be able to sit by themself and they still have support.
    charjaxx

Answer by charjaxx at 12:44 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i dont think its a concern untill he gets older, now, if he was 14 months and scooting, then yeah maybe a little concern, but i know some babies that cant even crawl at that age yet and scooting would be good for them! lol! just give him some more time and help to show him how to do it
    my son was crawling at 5 1/2 months and walking at 8, but my cousin didnt walk untill 12 months, so every baby is different! i think yours is doing good at scooting at 7 months personally, i think my son was way early
    Andrewsmom25

Answer by Andrewsmom25 at 7:48 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• put him in a sitting position and let him lean forward for a minute not to long though,or u can sit him in a luandry basket or bucket
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2009