Ferret problem OMG please help

Hi,
I need help ASAP! My ferrets keep pooping all over their cage. I just found it hardened on the wall. How do I get them to go in their litter box???? They go in their litter box but they also go EVERYWHERE else in the cage. It's disgusting. I have a 10 month old son and if I cant fix this problem my ferrets are gonna have to go. Please someone help....

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 11:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Pets

• I wish i could help you. Ferrets are illegal in my state. sorry i'm no help. good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• They're animals. It's not uncommon to have them litter trained but you gotta remember they're wild and not MEANT to poop in pans, lol. Move the cage away from the wall a little bit if it's getting on it. Things people need to think about before owning pets...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• yeah I did think about it before buying this ferret. What's up with some mom's trying to put other people down?? I had my other ferret for 3 years and it never did this so I decided to buy a friend for her and I was just wondering if anyone had advice. So thanks for the bashing but it really wasn't needed....
    MandyAshley

Answer by MandyAshley at 11:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• is it fixed ?Ive only babysat a ferret for a friend and I know it was fixed and didn't do this...
    Theyre cute little things tho...I like when they turn to the side and jump like their badass...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I was a Vet Tech many years ago, and we had a clinic ferret (she was our mascot). They sure aren't the cleanest of animals! LOL We actually got her a cage that stood about 5 feet tall, and had multiple play and sleep levels, and kept her litter box on the bottom level. That way, even if she pooped anywhere else, it would still fall to the bottom pan and not get her other play areas dirty. Maybe if you change your ferret to a multi-level cage that would help? Good luck!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 1:46 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Answered at 11:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 by: ReneeK3View Profile
    Add to Friends
    Send a Message
    View Answers They're animals. It's not uncommon to have them litter trained but you gotta remember they're wild and not MEANT to poop in pans, lol. Move the cage away from the wall a little bit if it's getting on it. Things people need to think about before owning pets...

You'r a jerk. Maybe she had the ferrets before her son?!?!? She is just asking for advice not to be bashed by you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• aw wow- I didnt know they could be illegal... thats so odd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Anon 7:39-

They are illegal in several states because they are related to weasels and can still be found in the wild. There are a ton of animals that are illegal across the US.. I was a supervisor at Petsmart for 6 years in the fish dept and we had a 7 page list front and back of illegal animals/fish/etc.. from the US Dept of Ag. GA alone has 7 pages of illegal animals..other states have more...

OP- sorry..no help from me.. never had a ferret...I refuse to have one in my house... I lose things on my own so I don't need help from a little ferret! LOL
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:11 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• do you have the pan type or the type that sits up in a corner of the cage? you might try switching, or try switching to a different brand of litter. Just like cats, they can get offended at their own smells after so long.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Ferrets can make great pets but you really need to know what you are getting into. Go to the local pet store where you got them from and ask them for some litter attractant, you spray it in the litter pan and the smell makes them want to go there. Until then, clean the litter pan every day and pick up any poop that is elsewhere in the cage and leave just one or two in the litter, they will be attracted to the clean litter and more likely to use it. Hopefully this helps, I used to work in a pet store, most ferrets will start using the pan on their own but only if it is cleaned really often.

Lark280

Answer by Lark280 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2009