What do you do about a picky eater?

My step son used to only eat hotdogs, bologna, fries, and chips. Now I can't get him to eat anything. I know they say it is a phase. His phase has been the entire 3 years I have been in his life.

tifanishelby

Asked by tifanishelby at 11:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• one daughter age 6 has been picky for yrs, only certain things she will eat, alot of things i have to make her eat, ill tell her try it and she'll whine about it, but she does and sometimes shell realize she likes it. i have the same problem, i get so frustrated with it. i dont know what else to do. my other daughter age 3 will eat anything.
    SHADYZGIRL1983

Answer by SHADYZGIRL1983 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• this is hard. Make sure that he does not eat between meals, If he has to eat a snack give him apple. Than sit down and eat as a family. When he starts to say I do not like this. ignore it and just talk about something else. Do not make it a big deal.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Thank you SHADYZGIRL1983. That is what we do but he WILL NOT try ANYTHING new. I won't force him to eat but if we tell him no dessert or go to bed now if your not going to eat he will put his tounge to it and throw up. He can control this. So now if he makes himself sick he has learned he has to clean it up. He hates that and it may sound mean but this was happening several times a day. Now he don't mind cleaning his mess up.
    And thank you qammie. He don't get snacks and an apple is healthy so he won't touch it. We won't let him have junk and in 7 days he might have ate the equivilent of two meals out of 21 possible meals. I'm scared that he will end up hospitalized for this and his mother takes him to an idiot dr. I mean the DR perscribed him a medication knowing he was allergic to it. Then told us he was having an allegic reactiion to cats when it was a ringworm and took 8 months to clear that up. Thanks again to you both
    tifanishelby

Answer by tifanishelby at 12:13 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• One of my son's use to eat nothing but ceral and the MD told me let him eat what he wants he won't starve. At 21 he weighed 140 lbs. and was 6 feet. Now my youngest age 6 is very picky and won't eat apples, pears, oranges, mashed pototo's, vegetables except green beans. He won't eat cheese or eggs. I find what he does like and he eats that, he doesn't starve. The other day i made him try mashed pototoes he ate them and has twice since. He started eating hamburgers because we called them Crabby Patties. Kids are very smart and they know how to push our buttons and play us real well. We need to figure them out and outsmart them,and if that don't work trickem..
    Jolene5

Answer by Jolene5 at 1:02 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My girls are a little picky. I tell them that they can eat what I put on the table or do without but that they have to sit at the table with us no complaining or anything. Usually, I tell the that they have to try it for instance if its beans I tell my 6 you that she has to eat 6 beans. She has found that she likes a lot of them that she originally thought she didn't. Good luck
    crazy_mum

Answer by crazy_mum at 6:25 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Why on Earth would you allow your child to eat only hotdogs, bologna, fries and chips!?!? I'm getting sick to my stomach just thinking about that...
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2009