If you say "spat" for the word "spit" then..

Why don't you say "shat?"

When someone is talking about spit they would say "She spat in my face."

But if they are talking about sh*t, they never say "He just shat a minute ago, so don't go in to the bath room."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I always just say spit and s*it . . . I think the other way sounds so snooty even though it is the correct way. Plus, neither of those are words I would use in a formal setting, so it's not as though it matters anyway.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I don't think saying spat sounds snooty..I guess if your not use to saying it, it could..But I don't think a word could have the potential to sound "snooty."

It's past tense..Just like saying. "She sat in the chair." Does that sound snooty? You wouldn't say "She sit in the chair earlier today." so I don't get how saying "She spat." or using that word in general sounds snooty. If you say "sat" then "spat" should sound normal to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Well, it would sound normal to me if I said it, but I don't. I think I made that clear. I don't need you anon telling me what should sound normal to me. Plus, how often must one talk about spit in the past tense? Not a lot. Not for me anyway. I've never had someone spit in my face or on me, period. It's not a regular occurrence in my life to comment on other peoples saliva and their habits of expelling it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Because we speak English. One of the truly bastardized languages of the world.

Did you know that English is a Germanic language? Really! It's closer to German than to anything else. But over the course of countless invasions of France by England and England by France, plus throw in the early Roman years, we have tons of things in the language that are from the Romanace languages. Throw in the fact that we will steal a word from any old language that we like and make them up when we want - and you have a nice, messy hodge-podge of a language.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I have heard the term "shat" used in exactly the context you mentioned, but usually by the British. I think it a language thing. Here in America, I would say: "He just went shit in there" as opposed to "He just shat in there" but that's just me ~ I'm a grammatical perfectionist.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I wonder if someone will report this post for the word shat LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• When imitating a British accent, I say, "I shat so swimmingly"!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• shat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on Feb. 28, 2009