C sections and strep b

I am having twins and will be having them delivered by c section.... This is my second pregnancy and with my first I was strep B positive. I heard that once you have it, you always have it. Will I need the medication still since I am having a c section? Also, will they admit me before hand so that I can get the meds in time?

TiffanyReed

Asked by TiffanyReed at 12:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you dont need the meds its a c-section the bacteria is in your cervix
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• also you dont always get it with every pregnancy
    Anonymous

• Well I was group B positive, and had a C section and i told them when i checked in they told me that since my water didnt break i should be fine but they gave me the meds anyway
    IamKayla

Answer by IamKayla at 12:23 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I dont think the part about once you have it you always have it is true, but im not 100% positive. If you are having a c-section you wont need the meds.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:35 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• They will probably give you meds just to be on the safe side that there was no cross contamination. And they will usually give you antibiotics before any surgery to help keep any post procedure infections to a minimum.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Strep B comes and goes you don't always have it
    DylansMomma3269

Answer by DylansMomma3269 at 8:11 AM on Feb. 28, 2009