Please Help...in need of advice!!

I have worked for a company since I was 17 yrs old. I am now 23 and a supervisor. I have been working very hard for the past eight months looking to get promoted to assistant manager. I work so much overtime and don't get paid for it even though I'm an hourly paid employee. I hardly take breaks even though they're deducted from my pay. I come in on my days off to learn new material. I do all this because I want to move forward. I have spoken to my manager about becoming an assistant and he knows this is the reason I do everything I mentioned but as hard as I try it doesn't seem like it's going to happen mainly because of my District Manager who I also spoke with about a promotion. He told me he didn't have any openings but I knew this was a lie because he's been hiring and I've seen job opening posts on the web. I currently make $11 per hour and I'm barely making it. Here's the problem.. I applied to another company but..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• they're only offering me$11.50 and I would have to work 45 hrs per work as an assistant mangr.. should i take this new job offer or wait for my time to come with the company I'm in??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I would make the jump. You've been taken advantage of by your current company. Working all that overtime means they're getting something for nothing...and they're breaking the law. Youv'e been there for YEARS and they're not moving you up. If they haven't done it by now, they're not likely to.

Time to move on.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• thanks for your advice...I have to give an answer to the other company by monday and i dont know what to do...thanks!!! greatly appreciate it!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Sounds like they're taking advantage of you. Start applying for another company and make it clear where you want to end up in the interview. Tell them you are highly motivated to promote inside their company. Good luck. I hate to see a nice person not getting paid like they should and working long hours and not being appreciated!!! You should do what I do, work for yourself! I sell usborne books and avon, make my own schedule and make good money! You sound motivated and I think you'd do well. Email me if you want to talk about it! :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I would take it. Never wait for other people, and never stay at a place waiting. Congrats on getting a new job! I hope it makes you very happy there and you learn alot :)
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 5:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Move on to the new company. Your loyalty and hard work should be rewarded and respected. Get the OT you deserve, too.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Take the new job. The old job is taking advantage of you. Even though it's on ly $.50 cents an hour more it's a bigger raise than many people are getting these days.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Work for yourself - fire our boss

www.DoctorsMission.com

Anonymous