Do you?

The bible says "dont lean upon your own understanding" If you are christian do you? Why or Why not? For example having your own belife in afterlfe or heaven, hell. Or make your own mind up about something that can be shown in the scriptures but you have yet to find the answer to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would have to say yes I have done that before . But not anymore I learned from that I learned my ways are not Gods ways haha.. God showed me I dont need to lean op on my own understanding but look upon him always for everything and thank God I do that now.. Great question...

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i think we all do from time to time, after all, we are fallible human beings. and you do have a point, unless something is spelled out in original scripture, you really dont know what God thinks about some things. but that is where you have to pray for discernment from Him to show you how to handle those situations that arent clear.
    in my experience, things do seem to work out better if we dont try to add to what God says, and just trust Him...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 12:55 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• OP here...Im wondering because my friend said she does a lot of her own understanding and she wants to read something to see how she feels then she will decide. I thought this was odd a little bit and just wanted to know if any body else did it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• hello op. when you say your friend "wants to read something to see how she feels then she will decide"...by something do you mean the bible, or just something else?
    if its the bible, i dont see anything wrong with it-that is part of God revealing Himself in scripture, and you having that discernment i was talking about before...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:10 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Depends on what it is - is it major or a common sense thing? I don't believe trusting God means ignoring our own common sense though. Often our common sense alone isn't enough to give the needed direction for a particular decision. Sometimes our "feelings" can't be trusted. This is why filling our minds with the perfect Word of God is so important. By grounding our minds in God's Word, we rely on him, not ourselves, for even the little things. So essentially his thoughts become our thoughts.
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 8:33 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• don't be blind of what's in front of you
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 4:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• In the Bible, Jesus also says, "Why do you not judge for yourselves what is right?". So for me this validates questioning and interpreting the Bible. I think it's okay to ask questions and to ask God to help you in understanding the answers to those questions.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• In Acts 17:11 it says : Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians,for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures daily to see if what Paul said was true. God expects us to search His word,and not take anyone's word for what they are saying. We are to make up our minds,based on what the Scriptures say, since God knows what's best for us,and will never steer us wrong.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 1, 2009