Cereal?

I know at four months is when you are supposed to start your babies on cereal. But I have no clue how to do it. How do you mix it? And when do you usually feed it to them. My son is only three months, I dont have to worry just yet, just want to know so I am prepared. And at what age did you start giving the little disolvable snacks and crackers and such?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 1:03 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mix some in a bowl with breast milk or formula which ever you use. add enough liquid so its about the same consistancy as applesauce. feed him with a spoon, dont mix it in a bottle. wait on the disolvable snacks until he can pick them up himself and put them in his own mouth (around 6 months or so).
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:06 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• You don't have to do cereal at all, you know. Mashed banana is a tastier and more nutritious first food. Mash, serve. Nothing to it.

If you really want to use cereal, just follow the instructions on the box. Feed whenever you like; the only time that's not optimal is before bed because a lot of babies wake more when getting before bed solids.

If baby is breastfed, the recommendation is to wait till SIX months, and always nurse before the solids. If formula fed, you can start at four months but formula still comes first.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:06 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My daughter would only eat cereal if I mixed it with juice.
    charjaxx

Answer by charjaxx at 1:52 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• You don't "have" to start cereal ever, let alone at 4 months. That is when it is usually started.

Follow the directions on the side of the package for mixing (use breastmilk or formula) and adjust it for the baby's taste. If it's too thick, add more liquid...if too thin, less. (I had one who liked it thinner and two who wanted it stick to the spoon thick! lol)

When depends on when you want to do it. We did it at supper first and when we added veggies, moved cereal to breakfast. (when do YOU eat cereal? lol)

That's IF you decide you want to start it.

As for finger and table foods....we started those at 6 months after we had run the gambit of veggie and fruit baby food. We started with Cheerios and graham crackers then fork smashed foods from our plates working up to diced pieces. But you have to do what you feel your kid can handle.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:46 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I mix my son's cereal with formula. I don't measure them, really. It just depends on the baby, and how he handles the cereal. At first I'd make it extremely runny. Just a tad thicker than breastmilk/formula. I only fed my son a tablespoon at first... and gradually increased the amount. After he was eating cereal for about a week, I made it a bit thicker. Now, at 8 months old, he appreciates oatmeal-like thickness. I would mix some banana or applesauce with the cereal, just for a nutrition boost. But cereal alone is just fine... at your baby's age, solids are just for practice. My son started cereal just a week before he was four months old.
    I didn't start finger foods until he was six months old. I like the gerber puffs. At first I broke them in half. They seem safer because they dissolve rather quickly. Now, at 8 months old, he can handle most table foods with an exception of meat and tougher stuff.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 6:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• "Supposed to"? No. Many doctors do tell you that at that age, you CAN. You DO NOT have to. Plus, I don't like that yucky stuff. My son started out with pureed zucchini, around 7 and a half mos. Really, before 9-12 mos, food is not NEEDED. It's experimental. My son did not start eating daily until 11 mos. Before that, he'd have a few spoonfuls every few days. Do what YOU feel is best, not what you feel you are "supposed to" do.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 28, 2009