My son wakes up at night with growing pains in his legs.

Is there anything i can do to help him? Also, i try to stick to natural things. Herbal remedies and things like that. But i'll take almost any advice.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:29 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We too increase milk when the pains start up, i also alternate warm and cold packs my son swears it works. both of my boys have really bad pains expecially my son who is 8 and broke his leg last summer, his legs have been killing him at night.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:22 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• a warm bath right before bed and wrap warm packs around his knees with and ace bandage
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Awww... poor little guy. I had terrible growing pain when I was young. I used to bend my legs back and lay on them at night because they hurt so bad. I think maybe some Tylenol or something like that might help. I gave my son Tylenol and I would just squeeze his legs all over up and down. They say you're not supposed to rub them, but squeeze them up and down the leg to help relieve the pain. Best  Wishes

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Try putting towels in the dryer and heating them up then wrapping his legs in them. You really shouldn't use heating pads at night on kids bc of burns but that should do the trick. Also make sure he gets lots of excercise later in the day. Make sure he's getting enough calcium and iron as well. That helps with the comfort :) Good luck! No fun for the little guys!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• In our family of 8 children, we found that the child with growing pains needed more calcium. Our remedy was to give a glass of milk with a calcium pill and adding more milk to his diet during the day. This usually cured it.
    mommios8

Answer by mommios8 at 2:00 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My daughter is going through the same thing, I give her warm baths and I do massage on her legs. When it is really bad I give her a little children's Motrin.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 8:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Have you taken him to the doctor and had it properly diagnosed. Most likely it is growing pains, but sometimes it is mistaken for this and it is childhood arthritis or something else. I recommend reading more about the diagnosis of this on webmd. There is an article Growing Pains-When should parents worry? I hope this helps. Good luck
    krismommy111

Answer by krismommy111 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Thank you. But i am not the kind of mother who rushes off to the doctor whenever there is something "wrong" with my son. I did look at a few medical articles before and after i posted this question. Growing pains are not scientifcally proven because there is no way to proove that growing is literally painful. Which is fine. Sciences doenst always know everything. However, with the hight of my DS and the activity he engages in every day, and his family medical history i am 100% sure that it is not childhood arthritis. I may not be a doctor. ...but even doctors only make educated guesses.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Also, it is important to tell the child that it is just growing pains, and that lots of children have them, so he isn't scared about it.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 3:13 AM on Mar. 6, 2009