I used to go to church all the time but now...

I feel like I just can't. everytime i go into a church i feel like a hypocrite because I am proabably the most libreal person out there and i feel like i can't be liberal and a christian anyone else feel this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I understand how you feel. My husband and I have some liberal point of views that aren't common in the church. But you shouldnt let that keep you from going to church. Your going should just be about you and God. If you and God are ok with what you believe then you have no one else to answer to.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:53 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• What do you mean by "liberal?" Like what kind of beliefs are you referring to? If you don't mind me asking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I feel the same as you OP but I have been told that as long as YOU build your own relationship with God, and feel good with it and your spirituality makes you feel complete then God is happy with you. I am no Saint, I drink, cuss, smoke and I am pro-choice. Whenever it is mentioned at mass about abortion I talk to God and tell him "I'm sorry Lord for not agreeing with this belief but help me to understand". I feel empty if I don't go to mass.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I am not sure what you mean by liberal in this sense but the main reason for church is to not forsake the fellowship of other believers. It is a place to grow and learn and to build a relationship with Christ Jesus.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:42 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I'm the opposite.. I lean more republican, however am atheist... doesn't mean anything.. you believe what you believe is right.. if you have ideals that are more one way than another.. it doesn't matter politically.. it matters in you faith.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:53 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• OP here- when I say liberal what i mean is for example I am 110% for gay marriage I am ok with the death penalty I am pro choice....things like that but, i was raised christian and i still believe in god and would like to have a relationship with him but I just feel like a hypocrite because i know how most churchs feel about those subjects.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• First you are not going to church for other people you want go to get close to the Lord so dont worrie about what other people think of you... You want to be there for the Lord only and if people want to look at you or say anything mean Just remember God see's everything and all you got to say to them is praise the Lord :) HOpe this helped
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• "OP here- when I say liberal what i mean is for example I am 110% for gay marriage I am ok with the death penalty I am pro choice....things like that but, i was raised christian and i still believe in god and would like to have a relationship with him but I just feel like a hypocrite because i know how most churchs feel about those subjects."

it's okay, that doesn't make you a bad christian... it probably makes you a better person.. because you are not judging people due to their sexual life styles, and choices they make with their body. The death penatly maybe....... lol, but I'm for it too soo... lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Here's what I think:

I think Jesus doesn't give a rip about politics.
    AutumnBlessing

Answer by AutumnBlessing at 1:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I think you don't "need" a church to feel christian. Your relationship with god is very personal and churches are nothing more than social get togethers. There is absolutely nothing they do in a church you can't do elsewhere. (Unless you can't read or something like that, but that's not you.) If you feel like a hypocrite then don't go.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2009