does it bother you when you see an infant with pierced ears?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes.. it annoys the crap out of me. It's something I will never understand. I can *maybe* understand it being a cultural thing and a ceremonial thing but in reality, it's a selfish ploy done by parents so their baby looks more like a girl. There is ZERO need to get it done. It also takes away what could be a very memorable childhood experience for their daughters.

I cringe every time I see an infant getting them done. It violates any free will a child would have PLUS the guns are NOT safe. It's absolutely awful.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:46 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I got my DD's done at 14 months...so no
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• No I got mine done when I was 8 months old
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 1:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• If they are under 3 months old then yes. I think it is 3 months when they say it is ok. Other than that I think its adorable. And a piercing is something that if they dont want it when they are older they can always take it out and it will heal. Someone asked me when I was getting my sons ears pierced. Now thats a different story. LIttle girls yes little boys no. My SO has his ears pierced. But I will leave that up to my son when hes older. People are always mistaking babys for the opposite sex, dont want to give them another reason to think hes a girl.haha
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:41 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It doesn't really bother me, I just think that it takes the fun & excitement out of getting them done when they are old enough to appreciate it. When my daughter was born, I planned to wait til she was old enough to start asking to have them done. When she was 6 yrs old, her Gramma and I took her to get her ears pierced for her birthday. We made a day out of it; lunch, shopping for new earrings the whole bit and she loved it. That was 18 yrs ago and she still talks about how special the day was. Now that I have another girl (she's 2) I am planning the same thing except this time, it will include her big sister.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:49 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• If I am completely honest, yes, it bothers me! Who is that for? Does that baby want that pain? No, it is for the vanity of the mother. I watched these parents hold a little girl down, screaming, just to pierce her ears. She was probably about 1 1/2 and I was about 15. I swore then I'd never pierce my baby's ears. I cried when mine had to get their shots! No way I'd put them through unnecessary pain. Sorry, but you asked for honest opinions.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It doesn't bother me but I'm not piercing my daughters until she asks for it. Just personal preference.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:50 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Yes it does. My girls are half mexican & it appears to be a cultrual thing for hispanics to pierce their young babies ears. I'm always getting "Why havent you done their ears yet?" from mexican friends. Well because we dont want to! I dont think its right. I will let my girls chose when they get older if they want it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It does kinda bother me. I think that the child should have a choice. Sometimes kids wanna be different and if everybody and their mom has earpiercings maybe the kid doesnt want it. And sure the kid can take them out when she is older but the holes will probably be there for the rest of her life. It's her body. It should be her choice (i also take this stance on circumsizing and other related things).
    But, ...it's not the most horrible thing a parent can do to their child, so i dont let it get to me. I watch a 10 month old baby girl and her parents got her ears pierced as a baby. **shrugs** it's whatever.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:57 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It bothers me. I think that a girl should wait till she is responsible enough to take care of her own ears. Why would a baby need her ears pierced?? really? I have little girls and I would have always been terrified that they would get the earrings caught in blankets and clothings, etc. Its not worth the pain of my baby for total strangers to say "aww...look she has her ears done!!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Feb. 28, 2009