Cigarette smokers:

I was wondering how many of you smoked before gettn preg, and how many quit. If you quit, did u quit totally, or did you sneak one once in a while? Be honest!! AND this question is for smokers. If you did not smke, this Q is NOT FOR YOU. I'm looking for EXPERIENCES, not OPINIONS.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I smoked somewhere between a quarter and a half a pack a day. Mmmmmm I miss smoking... I did not quit the moment I got pregnant, it took me a few weeks of cutting down before I got to the point that I could quit. There also may have been one or two cigarettes later on, but it was never a once a week or anything like that thing, it was literally one or two during the entire pregnancy after I quit. I started smoking again about 6 months after she was born, when I stopped breast feeding. But my hubby made me quit when we got engaged. Good luck quiting if you haven't. I think it's the best time to quit because you have amazing motivation.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:14 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I used to smoke. I quit when DH and i planned on getting pregnant. I still havnt gotten pregnant yet. AND i got him to quit by teling him that i wasnt gonna have any of his kids until he quit. yea. kinda mean. but i was serious. And he's a major family man so he quit too. Now ...we're just waiting ...
    Good luck to all you moms out there trying to quit! i know it can be hard.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:14 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I smoked till i found out i was pregnant (it was a surprise the first time) and no i did not sneak one during pregnancy. I did go back to smoking after my last child was born, it was stress induced my dad was dying and i needed an outlet, so i turned to what was familiar. It was so easy to quit when i got pregnant, but later on when is started back up it was horrid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i smoked a pack a day before i got pregnant. i immediately cut back to 4 cigarettes a day to wean myself off. I was one that was never able to completely quit. I smoked a couple drags here and there a day, but never an entire cigarette. I know people will bash me, but they dont know my situation, so blah to them!! I was under watchful eye of my doctor, and because I suffered from stress induced panic attacks, the cigarettes were the only thing to calm me down, so the doc suggested only having a couple drags if i felt that stressed. the way she explained it was the stress was 100 times worse then two drags of a cigarette.
    and of course after i had my daughter i started smoking regularly again. it sucks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I smoked a pack a day before I found out I was pg. I cut back, eventually quit. I only quit for 3 months, started smoking again around 7 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i did when i was younger and when i got pregnant with my son i just stopped period never did it again had no withdrawls either lol people say i was lucky
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I smoked about a pack and a half a day, and ever more when I was drinking...right before i found out i was pregnant, I go very sick and was in the emergency room with a 104.8 fever! So the whole time I was sick, I never even wanted to move out of bed to go get one! When I finally felt better (i was already pregnant, but i didnt know yet) I tried to smoke and it jsut tasted nasty to me! Even when I would be out with friends, and drinking just didnt taste right either...I guess it was the baby telling me to stop, so it made it easier for me! I found out about 2 weeks later i was pregnant and I havent smoked since, but here lately (im 9 1/2 weeks) i have wanted one SOOOO bad!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 9:35 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I smoked about a pack & a half a day before I found out I was pregnant. Along with smoking for 11yrs prior to finding out (yes, I started smoking at 10yrs old, whatever). ANYWAYS, when I went to the clinic to find out for sure (I dont trust home tests) I was asked how much I smoke, & I told her. She actually told me with my past anxiety, stress, & whatnot, as well as how much I had been smoking, that if I quit cold turkey that I was at very high risk for miscarriage because of the stress my body would endure. She did worn me not to continue smoking as much (Im down to 4-5 a day now, if not less...yay!) due to possible breathing problems for the baby...but said that honestly, sometimes it comes down to the choice between risking a little, or losing a lot. I hope to stop completely sometime during the pregnancy, but until then I will just be monitored & hope for the best, which is the most any of us can do, smoker or not.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I was a smoker before I got pregnant. I had smoked for the first 5 weeks of my pregnancy, BUT I didn't know I was until a week later. Once I found out, I quit cold turkey and haven't gone back, not once. It was VERY hard at first but after the first month, I started becoming repulsed by the very smell of cigarettes. I think it was the baby making me feel that way lol.
    moms1stprincess

Answer by moms1stprincess at 5:30 AM on Mar. 1, 2009