ADD/ADHD

Do you think that a Doctor can accurately diagnose attention deficit or hyperactivity disorder at such a young age as 4,5, or 6? How could he/she possibly tell if the kid is just rambunxious naturally??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think alot of kids you can tell automatically even when the parent can't see it. Parents seem to be in denial about that particular disorder sometimes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• We were told by our pediatrician that they didn't diagnose before 7. I am not sure if that is just this practice here or what. We are going through the evaluation process here in a couple of weeks and we just asked the doctors a few questions before we went in for our first session. And at some point that came up from the doctor.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:06 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It can be diagnosed that early, however, it's difficult and it's usually only done if there is extreme behavior.

We just received a diagnosis for our (new) 5 year old. We were told it's tough because of his age, and that in a few years it might change. However because his behavior is consistent between home, school and other social settings...the psychologist (we've been seeing him since November and a developmental pediatrician since October) felt "fairly confident" giving that diagnosis.

There are questionnaires that the parents and teachers fill out. (we were told if he hadn't been in preschool, there would be no diagnosis) Not just one set...several. There are evaluations done with the child and family history is considered (we have ASD and ADHD in the family)

If you go in once or twice and they give a diagnosis, don't accept it. It's not that easy or quick.

I want to go further, but there I'm at the limit...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:06 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• yes
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I think that you should do your own research first! More times than not ADD/ADHD is misdiagnosed. Behavior in children sometimes looks like ADD/ADHD because of their diets. If a child eats alot of processed food and non organic type foods their little bodies react to it. Just as our adult bodies do. I have 2 younger step brothers and both of them are on ADD/ADHD meds and both of them are addicted to them. It was a real reality check when they spent the night with me and my family and i put off giving them the meds for about an hour or two in the morning and they were like little crack heads about "needing their pills" It was actually really sad. (Think about when we were children growing up, we ate healthier because we ate more at home meals and not boxed food. We played outside and burned energy. I think this is misdiagnosed ALL the time. Just please please extend every option before putting children on meds if at all possib
    barbison

Answer by barbison at 11:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• No. I don't think they can. My doctor made us fill out a questionaire and never spent one on one time with my child. She wound up diagnosing her oppositional behavior. The teacher was just as shocked as I was. My child has never thrown tantrums, acts angry or yells and screams at people. I was referred to a behavioral health specialist. They are able to do more extensive testing so I hope I can get some answers.
    nikiedwards

Answer by nikiedwards at 6:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• a child psychologist can give tests to your child, not a PH.D.Does he or she have these symptoms= fidgets,toss head,gets out of chair often,lacks interest,daydreams,talks constantly,interupts out of turn,walks on toes????
    These were things my son was doing until I got him on Stratarra[A NON-STYMULANT MED] and he is doing better in school and does his school work better, he still does some of these things but is better focused and doesnt fidget or toss arms and head.Each child is different and it took quite a while befor me and his dad agreed to put him on any medication, his phsyciotrist advised to try it,his doctor prescribed it.Try it and see,he is very active and is not a zombie from that med.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 2:49 AM on Mar. 14, 2009