What is a good age difference to have between kids?

It may sound crazy question... But I'm really confused?! My only kid is 6 months old and I'm 36 so thought to have another one soon as my age wont allow me to delay it more...what you think? Would glad if you share your opinion with me.

NasMoj

Asked by NasMoj at 2:37 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2 1/2 years i think is good but its all ur choice in the end...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 4:02 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I have a 22 month age difference and an 11 month age difference (these two do NOT get along). I'm also an older mom, my first being born when I was 37. I was all set to have the one.....and then had two successive surprises.

Having them close together also made it rough pregnancy-wise. I had two previous pregnancies with no problems at all...and with my third (while I had an infant at home) had some problems. I was one step above bedrest and not allowed to lift over 10lbs. I couldn't pick up my infant and take the risk of hurting the baby. (bleeding out and losing him) It was made rougher because we didn't have any help around...friends or family. (my husband was a full time student so he was able to stay home and study during that time)

I would suggest at least waiting until the (current) baby is a little more independent.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:37 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I suppose it'd depend on if you had difficult pregnancies. Although if you had easy pregnancy, there's no gaurantee that your next pregnancy will be easy. Another factor to weight in is whether you have a lot of help or not. Is your SO very hands on and involved? Do you have family/friends who can help if you need it? How demanding is your little one? There's no perfect age difference. What works for one mom might not work for another mom. If you think you can handle having an infant while being pregnant... and handle two babies in a diaper... go for it. It all depends on -you-.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 6:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I have three siblings, my older sister and I are very close in age (16mos apart) and we didn't get along at all as children. the sibling rivalry was just too strong but my younger sister and I are two years apart and we got along great. similarily my younger sister and younger brother are only 14 mos apart and they hated each other when we were kids. From my experience kids need a little bit of space between them to be able to appreciate each other. I had my second when my little guy was 3 and it was wonderful. He likes to help and he can do enough for himself that I don't feel pulled in a millioin directions all the time.
    nudge08

Answer by nudge08 at 8:08 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• my kids are 15 months apart and im a navy wife. so it feels like im on my own most of the time and as long as you have a routine it should be fine. so far, its not that bad. people always tell me my kids will be very close. my daughter LOVES her little brother. lol shes always trying to hug him and kiss him and she loves to help me take care of him. its so darn cute. =D
    it really depends on you if you think you can handle two kids at a young age. but because of your age, i can see why you would want too. its got its pros and cons. you might need some help in the beginning. i did. other than that, you'll get the hang of it
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 8:53 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I think you can ask every mom on the site and get a different answer. :) There are pros and cons to any age span. I think having two in diapers at one time is certainly hard...but as they get older, there's also awesome benefits to having two close in age.

My son and daughter are 27 months apart. They have enough of a span that they do their own thing without stepping on each other's does all the time. Yet, they're close enough in age that they really do relate well to one another. They certainly have days where you wonder if either of them will be left alive and standing at the end of it - but mostly, they are the best of friends.

My brother is 4 yrs younger than me. It had it's perks. I had lots of "only kid" time in my youngest years. I never had to share school with him...yet, we weren't overly close as kids. We were at vastly different stages all the time.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:08 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I'd say it would depend on your patience level. My 2 oldest are 16 months apart and are great friends, mind you they also fight like cat's and dogs some days. I find that with them being that close in age that they are allies! lol They gang up on me! lol My 3rd baby is 21/2 years younger than my middle child. We would have liked to have had her sooner but I went back to school and we waited. It's really up to you. It's great seeing my 2 play together and have eachother. I have a friend and her and her brother are the same age difference as my 2 oldest and they are very close and now as adults they are still close.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I think it's really a personal choice. Whatever you get, you deal with it and all the pros and cons. My kids are all two years apart (there are 26 mos between ds and dd, and 2.5 years exactly between dd and the next dd.) It wasn't totally by choice- I wanted the first two closer together, but it didn't work out that way. I wanted a bigger gap between two and three, but it didn't work out that way! I like the two year age gap though, but I'm sure if I had a different spacing I would like that spacing as well.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:29 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My son was not jealous when we brought his sister home because he was still so young and reliant on me to do things for him.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Healthwise it is best to have a 2 year, or close to it, age difference. My children are going to be around 28 months apart when the new baby is born. I feel that any closer and I would have been unhappy. I am happy to know that my daughter got my full undivided attention for two years and I got back in shape a bit before getting pregnant again.

It really is a personal choice. My sis and I are 15 months apart and we didn't get along until we moved out. MY husband and his bro are around 21-22 months apart and they fought as kids but have gotten along great most of their life.. so who knows.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2009