I thought I was having panic attacks. I say I can't breathe, and I'm overwhelmed. My doctor says "You're depressed."

I really love my doctor. I have been seeing her forever. When I was younger, I was a little depressed. I have grown and let those things fade. I really just need a break, and I think it's anxiety but she says that it's depression. I'm just tired and fed up with well, pretty much everything. And it comes out of nowhere. I just feel trapped and can't breathe. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Health

• If you trust your doctor listen to her and try whatever method she prescribes to you. But if you're not sure, seek out a 2nd opinion.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• you know your body if you think it is something else go see another dr as soon as possible ( i won't bore you with my big long story) but really get another opininon if you even have the smallest bit of doubt that it could be something else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i have experienced these same scenarios. I truly was suffering from depression and when I was prescribed a prescription, I saw a big change. But, I also had to take a prescription for anxiety.

Joy Neva
    www.just4today.freedomunitedteam.com
    justfortoday

Answer by justfortoday at 7:11 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Depression and anxiety often go hand in hand, and it can be difficult to seperate the two. Honestly, you do sound depressed, but the anxiety sounds more acute than the depression. But hey, I'm no doctor. If I were you, I'd take my doctor's advice with a grain of salt (I'm assuming this is a regular medical doctor) and I would schedule an appointment to start seeing a psychiatrist. Good luck, hon.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 7:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Physicians are only moderately trained as psychiatrists so If you think you are depressed or having panic attacks you would benefit from seeing a counselor, therapist, psychiatrist etc. They will be able to help identify your triggers and help you to not solely rely on meds to treat it. My sister has panic attacks and suffers from generalized anxiety. She is not depressed and never has been she just gets freaked out about certain things and she has found that seeing someone like twice a month really helps her.
    nudge08

Answer by nudge08 at 8:16 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Most times it's mild depression that CAUSES anxiety... You feel you can't do anything about your situation so it becomes overwhelming.

While I'm not sure what you are dealing with this is what I did when things got that way for me. I made a schedule of my entire day. Makeing sure I had enough time to fit everything in. My house, my kids, my hubby, 3 meals and 2 snacks, my business and time for ME! Schedule in 15-30 mins for mild excersize early in the day and 15-30 mins for "quiet" time late in the day.

You can't control everything in your life! And so we get overwhelmed. But if you make a point to control YOU and what YOU need to do it will help. Also having time to clear your mind each day will help you to keep things in perspective. Use that time to meditate, read or just relax with cocoa.

If you feel you need further help see a Dr.
    If you ever need to chat, need help or just need to vent, PM me!

Good Luck

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:11 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Anxiety can also be a symptom of hormone imbalance. Have doctor check your hormones to see. Sorry, but I don't put all my faith in doctors....! If you aren't getting your needs met with one, go to another. I am a huge advocate to natural homeopathic remedies, try going to a natural store and get some herbs for hormone imbalance and mood balance. With us women, stress can do an incredibly damaging thing on our body and hormones even worse. Sending you hugs!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 11:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2009