What does everybody think of the Twilight movie/books etc.?

My husband and I are just not into it period...not our "taste", but to each his own. However we do understand enough about the premise of it all to question whether or not it's really appropriate for our 11 year old. Her BM thinks it's fine...took her and a friend to see the movie on opening night. We went on-line to a couple of websites that went into detail about how it earned it's PG-13 rating. NOW she's reading the book. Just curious about what other parents think.

graciesmom164

Asked by graciesmom164 at 4:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 9 1/2 y/o brought it home from school. She knew I was against her reading it & took it back the next day. She has plenty of other books to read & was mad at 1st. She understood though & got over being mad pretty quickly. I have no desire to read them & find the obsession people have with it all to be a bit unsettling.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If she's reading it, you need to as well, IMO.

1) You'll know exactly what the book is about without relying on 3rd party review.
    2) Even if it's not your taste, it is hers and sharing the experience is a good bonding moment.

I haven't read them - DD is only 6 and therefore I'm off the hook for now. But I do read her school books and library books and watch "Hannah Montana" (groan) and then we talk about it. A lot. A whoooooooooooooooole lot.

The shared custody thing has got to be hard - going forward, if there's something popular that may be "iffy" you'll probably want to talk to BM about it beforehand so there are no surprises, if that's possible.

It doesn't really matter if it's "Twilight" or "Horton Hears a Who" - the important thing is to be involved in what your children like, while still maintaining an adult's viewpoint.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:20 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Twilight is a teen/preteen novel. I read Laurel K Hamilton at 13 lol and Twilight is a hell of a lot less detailed and adult then those books.

I do think you should read them though, and talk to her about them. It would be fun. While it's not your taste, it could be bonding!

Also, if she has seen the movie the books are far better. I thought the movie was way to corny and ruined the book *even though the books really not that great IMO*
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:00 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My son is 23. So I really don't fit into this category. But I saw Twilight and had to come answer. Yes I have read this book. I just finished New Moon also! I just love the books. And I am (I can't believe I am gonna say it, but) I am going to be 50!! My son loved it too. He is one of those avid readers. I go in spurts, if I find something I like, I will read the author forever!
    As for your question about the 11 yr old reading it. I think it is fine. It is really an innocent book. (Even though its about vampires) If she has questions be sure to remind her its a fantasy. For entertainment.
    I have not seen the movie, but you know Hollywood will "sex" up anything! I think she would have been better off just reading the book, but can't say for sure because I didn't see the movie. I kinda hate the way Hollywood messes up a good book! ~Denise
    LancesMom

Answer by LancesMom at 1:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• The twightlight saga is absolutly phenomonial read it. The movie is also great. Nothing in the book that a middle chool kid can't read.
    iloveRiver

Answer by iloveRiver at 3:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• The books really weren't my "thing" either. I love to read but YA books, and vampires books at that, turn me off. I picked up the first book, read it, and fell in love to my surprise! You might just be glad you read it if you tried!

I don't think the books are inappropriate for an 11 year old. I read all 4 and I didn't see anything in there that would be questionable. I'd say if I had to label a book as PG-13 it would be the last book because it moves through a rather strange birthing procedure. If you have a mature 11 year old then it should be just fine. Read it with her though...you'll probably love it!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I have read all the Twilight books and am currently reading the online posted version of the first 12 chapters of book 5.. My daughter is 10 almost 11 and she has devoured the Twilight book!! She's only on the first one, but we have all four books and I read them all in a week, so she won't have to wait on me to finish. We have not seen the movie, but will buy it when it comes out. Its a great series and if it gets her reading, then let her read it..
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 4:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• IMO, it contains a very unhealthy view of first "love"...well, love in general. The last book is definitely for maturer audiences (13+ IMO). I wouldn't let my 11 yr old read it.

Other than whether or not it's appropriate - it's horribly written, cheesy, and dangerously delusional. It's like, glorified fan fiction.
    Anonymous

• To all those saying there's nothing inappropriate in the books for middle schoolers - uhm, did you forget about the sex? What about Bella's psychotically grotesque pregnancy?

Anonymous

• Thanks for the input. I guess my thinking is that if there is anything about sex in it, it would be inappropriate for an 11 year old little girl. Maybe that makes me a little old fashioned...so be it. When we read about the movie on the website it described a scene in which a teen girl dressed in her underwear deeply kissed a teen boy and pulled him down on top of her. That's why I decided to ask questions. My 16 year old neice is reading the books and she told me that it's prob'ly a bit much for an 11 year old.
    graciesmom164

Answer by graciesmom164 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2009