Piercing a baby boy's ear

My fiance wants to pierce my son's ear. My son is 8 months old. I am a bit iffish about the idea. I love boys with pierced ear. My brother had a friend who had his ear pierced at four years old, and it was so cute! . I know most are fine with baby girls having her ears pierced... but boys? What are your opinions?

ShadesofGrey

Asked by ShadesofGrey at 6:16 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A baby (boy or girl) should never get their ears pierced. Piercing is a decision that should be made by the person whose body is going to be scarred. It is a big decision and can be very empowering to a young man or lady. Now for the problems a boy would have with having his parents make the decision. It will automatically put a stigma on your son as well as yourself. I know people should not be judgemental but the sheer fact is people are and the children are the worst! If he grows up having to defend himself for being _insert child's insult here_ (a) It is going to make going to school / making friends so much harder then it needs to be (it's hard anyway why add more problems) (b) If he is having a hard time with being singled out that may lead to fights which will lead to a child attempting to rip out those earrings. Finally this would all lead to a negative learning environment possibly leading to a hatred of school

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I don't think any child should get their ears pierced until they are old enough to take care of them themselves. I hate seeing little boys with their ears pierced. I personally think you should wait until he is a teenager and let HIM make that choice, not you.
    Freightgal

Answer by Freightgal at 6:24 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I don't think children should have pierced ears, unless they are old enough to make the decision themselves. I feel it is not my body, so it is not my choice.

BTW I saw a little one last summer in white onesie with two pierced ears. I told the mama what a beautiful little girl she had. She got SO MAD at me, and huffed, "HE is a BOY." sooo even if you are getting one ear pierced, you may have to deal with people like me thinking he is a girl lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• well im not even fine with piercing a baby girls ears. i wont pierce my daughters ears until she is able to ask for it. i still remember when i got my ears pierced. i was almost 2 years old and it hurt like hell, thats why i remember it. my parents (now) say it was a stupid idea. so yeah, i will wait until our DD will ask for it.

but its up to you. thats just my experience and my opinion.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:02 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• When my son was in headstart, there was a boy with one ear pierced.

It was the stupidest thing I ever saw. I thought it looked absolutely horrible on him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• We are a "wait and see" family - I was 16 before I was allowed to get mine pierced.

As for the boys vs. girls thing - we're pretty conservative. DH doesn't wear much jewelry and neither do I. If DS really wants to do it, we'll talk about it and just like with DD, it will be contingent on their ability to care of their ears as well as keep up grades, etc. etc.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i think you should wait and let him decide about that one earring.
    see if it fits his personality as he gets older...

but dont let him go crazy.. as they get older they want gages and all the other fun yucky stuff.

simple studs seem cute but not right now..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i don't think little boys, teenage boys or whatever age they are should have any earrings. my brother in law has an earring but he knows i would so love to rip it out of his ear. i hate it on a guy i think it makes them look terrible. just myopinion. i think only girls should have their ears pierced
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It's not a gender issue for me. My husband had his ears pierced before the Army, but it's an age issue. No infant should be subjected to their parent's will... and piercing any infant is irresponsible and takes a way personal choice.

Many cultures have males with piercings as well, it's not needed to identify gender :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:57 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I don't think BABY girls or boys should get it done.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2009