HOW DO I GET THE CAT TO USE THE LITTER BOX???

I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THIS CAT THAT WAS BY HOUR HOUSE AND HE IS A SWEETIE, BUT I DUNNO IF HE'S USING THE LITTER BOX. THERE IS NO POOPY IN IT, AND I HAVE'NT SEEN HIM USE IT. I DUNNO THAT HE WILL KNOW WHAT IT IS. I THINK HE MIGHT HAVE JUST BEEN AN OUTSIDE CAT. WE HAVE'NT TAKEN HIM INTO THE VETS SO I DUNNO HOW OLD HE IS BUT I AM ASSUMING HES AT LEAST 1 1/2 MAYBE 2. ON TOP OF THAT HES A BOY SO I KNOW HE'LL NEED FIXED SO HE DOESNT SPRAY. I CAN'T STAND THE SMELL OF CAT PEE.
OK ANY ADVICE OF HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

alinzasmommy

Asked by alinzasmommy at 7:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Pets

• We have a foundling kitten. He is really friendly and kept coming by then one day just came in and stayed. So he sort of adopted us. In the beginning we had problems with him pooping on the bath room rugs, the couch, and in various other locations. So a friend of mine suggested to put the cat box in the in the laundry room and lock him in there over night. It took 3 nights and now he looks for the cat box. She told me cats sometimes don't remember at first where the box is and it might take more time for some than others to figure out where it is especially when they were an outside cat and could go where ever they pleased.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:46 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• thanks. I'll def. try this. I dont have a door on my laundry room and obvisoly he can jump the gate. I intend to put the box there but I think if I do what ya sugested above it'd have to be in the bathroom. Would it confuse him if I than moved the litter box from the bathroom to the laundry room later once hes gets adjusted to it????
    I love this cat by the way. He's sitting here with me as if hes been here his whole life. He's such a sweetie. And I am not that big of a cat person.
    alinzasmommy

Answer by alinzasmommy at 7:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• If you see where he poops pick up the poop and put it in the litter box, then carry kitty to the box and let him smell it...he should almost automatically use it. Good luck. good for you for taking care of it...I feel so bad when kitties are left outside, I have about 3 that Im feeding outside right now. but I have 2 dogs and 2 cats already so no more.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• when we first got our older cat we put her in the bathroom and locked her in until she started using the box. should only take a few days. they naturaly will use it as long as it is kept clean. if you let the box get too full she will go back to using your floors and furniture so you must be consitstant. callie is right about putting the poop in the box when she has an accident. it will help her to learn faster!! god luck!! oh and you will want to get a post for her to scrach on too or she will mess up your furniture!! good luck
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 5:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2009