I need some help....

I cant believe I have to come to a computer to help my child but I dont know what to do for him. He is 4months old and full of so much mucous that he chokes. I took him to the doctor and he said that his lungs are clear and that he isnt weezing. The doctor is not the one looking into those blue eyes saying "help me" when Im holding him and trying to help when my son is choking. The doctor recomended that I give him Pedialyte every other bottle which has seemed to help a little bit.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can break up the mucous of a 4month old or help his cough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A humidifier, Eucalyptus oil in bath water, or in the humidifier/vaporizer. There aren't any meds you can safely give him. If he was older I would suggest some warm herbal tea but at 4 months old it's tricky!

And I have never heard of pedialite being used on a child who is NOT vomiting or having diarrhea. I would rethink that bit of advice. At 4 months old all the baby should be getting is bm or formula.

If he's on formula, and it's cows milk based, it will cause him to be more mucousy until it passes. Dairy increases phlegm production. So if you are nursing watch your dairy intake.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• have u tried giving him vapor bath? just sit him in the tub and let the vapor bath (the baby kind and any kind) do it job, he should have a running nose which is what u want u want him to get rid of everything that's in there. also the shower works good the steam will help loosen the congestion also try vicks chest rub (for babies its pink) dont try and give him and cough medicne those are good he's too little. make sure he drink lots of fluids. and keep him sitting up. he's going to be miserable for a couple days but he will get better mama, dont stress urself out
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 8:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Saline should help and it is completely safe because it is just salt water, put a few drops in his nose every so often and it should help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Stop giving pedialyte. It's sugar. Keep giving him what he normally drinks. The idea is more fluids, but he's getting fluids from his normal feedings!!! You're cutting out nutrition and calories he NEEDS. (but I'd also be looking for a new doctor over this one)

Elevate the head of the crib (we use a towel under the mattress)
    Run a humidifier (cool mist or steam whichever works better for your son)
    Steam in the bathroom...run the shower turning the bathroom into a sauna. Suction as needed.
    Saline nasal drops. Suction or not afterward, but the drops help keep things loose.
    Tylenol for discomfort.

Be careful with anything that gives off vapors. I tried it with one of my sons and it was just too strong....made things worse. (and sent me into an asthma attack being around him)

A cold is normally at it's worse for 3-5 days. The cough can last a couple of weeks. His lungs and ears are clear, so that's a bonus!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:26 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My son got like that A LOT when he was a baby! I would go into the bathroom turn on the shower to all hot, shut the door and let it get all steamy, and sit in there holding him letting him breathe in the steam, then would use the nasal sucker they give u at the hospital that they use to suck out they're nose when they're born and I'd suck the mucus out. I don't know if that helps but that's what I always did.
    MrsFrazier21

Answer by MrsFrazier21 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I know how difficult it can be at such a young age. My now almost 9 month old has had quite a few colds this winter and I just feel awful because they are so helpless. Here is what I do..
    Get little noses Saline Solution to break up the mucus. Works well. Suction out as needed.
    They make a baby vicks product. Put it on his feet and cover with socks or feet pjs before bed.
    Use a cool mist vaporizor in his room at night.
    I put the swing in his room when he is sick so he sleeps a bit upright and his nose will drain rather than clog. Or you can put a towel under his mattress in his crib to prop it up.
    Johnson and Johnson has a baby wash for colds that smells like Vicks. I bath him with that before bed.
    Give tylenol at night for pain. NO Motrin until 6 months.
    Hope your little one feels better soon! This is what works for us!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 8:55 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Agree with the humidifier running 24/7. I have used the Vicks makes a product called Baby Rub. It is great. I put on the chest (never the face b/c they can rub it in their eyes). The swing is a good idea. Also, side sleeping make help, but only do this if you are watching him due increased risk of SIDS. My sister chokes b/c of relux at night so we bought a monitor that sensing movement (like breathing). It was the best $100 I spent. I put her on her side to sleep and was able to relax enough to get a little sleep myself.

I hope your son is better soon!
    aim1105

Answer by aim1105 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My doctor said that you can use a little bit of Vick's Vapor rub on the bottoms of his feet, then put some socks on him, or put the rub on his jammies. I would use the ball syringe if it is really bad. If you are nursing you can drip some breast milk into his nose to loosen up the mucous. I have done this and it actually works very well. Drip some breast milk in, let it sit for a minute or two, then suck it back out with a ball syringe.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Use the little noses saline drops. They work wonders. Put a few drops in One nostril at a time. And wait about a min after and suck it out before going to the next. It will help clear him out a lot trust me. I had to do it on my little boy. And the humidifer is a good idea. Have him sleep in a bouncy seat or something that props him up. Or you can put a pillow under the head of his mattress to elevate him.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 2:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• We have been having the same issues and all im doing is continueing to nurse on demand, when they get a cold or sick its MOST important to make sure they dont get dehydrated....and I just use saline drops and the green nose sucker that we got from the doctors.....he hates it, but it helps him....and we put blankets under the bassinet to prop him up a bit at night so that he isnt laying flat.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2009