• In the Spotlight:

What income does middle class represent?

lisadallasr

Asked by lisadallasr at 9:00 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• From wikipedia:
    Everyone wants to believe they are middle class...But this eagerness...has led the definition to be stretched like a bungee cord — used to defend/attack/describe everything...The Drum Major Institute...places the range for middle class at individuals making between $25,000 and $100,000 a year. Ah yes, there's a group of people bound to run into each other while house-hunting.

—Dante Chinni[4]
    Littlejem

Answer by Littlejem at 9:08 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Middle class......hmmmmm.....Guess it depends really on whether or not you think you fall into that category and want to be responsible for the country. The rich might be the target now but the tide will turn and the middle class will be the next on the chopping block. Just the way the tax workings will go. Many people earning $60,000 to $100,000 are struggling. So, figuratively speaking, I guess middle class is over $100,000.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/22600.html

BETWEEN 20,000 AND 97,000
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• 25,000 is NOT middle class. I think middle class starts at the point you STOP getting all the EIC credits and any tax help......you know, the point where you feel like you make too much to get any help, but before you are comfortably able to not live pay check to paycheck!...roughly around 49,000 for a family of 5.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• there is lower middle class - middle class - and upper middle class so YES 25,000 is middle class lower middle class but middle class non the less hell i learned that in grade school and jr high guess some people just fell asleep during their schooling
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I remember making 25.000 a year with 2 kids...We were POOR! BROKE as SIN. We qualified for EVERY gov't assistance program created. We lived on spaghetti 3 times a week (my DH STILL hate spaghetti!) and hamburger helper an tuna fish the rest! How is THAT middle class...even LOWER middle class! At what point do you consider poor!?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• that is middle class last year we made about that and were still middle class and quailfied for assistance it does not seem like much but middle class covers ALOT you are not poor till you ar eunder about 20,000 i believe but 25,00 is considered lower middle class
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I get the encyclopedia definition, but to me you aren't middle class until you no longer qualify for gov't assistance. I have no idea why I think that! LOL Maybe b/c they treat you like a lower class citizen when you apply for those programs? I have just always assumed you were middle class when you no longer qualified for help. But that's just an opinion.

OH!  And I am NOT looking down on those making less, I have BEEN there!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• ya i know how it is we finally got ahead and got making decent money my DH fisnished his schooling and we make alot more now
    i thought the same way but lower middle class is also quailfied for assistance it is sad but it happens
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• As cost of living varies tremendously from city to city, I define middle class, as being able to live "comfortably." Meaning that you HAVE to work, spend wisely (on sale, coupons, necessities plus a few "extras," have 1-3 children, own a home (or actively working towards it), have at MINIMUM a skilled trade (cosmetologist, auto mechanic, etc,) or associates degree.

Basically you are getting by, you work hard, you pay your bills, you provide for your families, but it wouldn't take much for you to lose everything--ie: job loss, unexpected illness/death, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:21 AM on Feb. 28, 2009