What is a good sewing machine ?

I want a good basic sewing machine , I want one that is affordable say less than 300.00 . I want the basics and some fancy smancy stiches but not to much, I want it to do basic stuff . I do want to be ably to sew on any fabric like denim or other heavy cloth ( my son wants a quilt from old reycled jeans )
Help ladies

gitanomadre

Asked by gitanomadre at 9:41 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• i like singer and serger brands. the serger is kind of expensive though. you can usually get a good singer at wal mart for around $150 or so... as for sewing denim, you can get all kinds of sewing needles for the machine, just ask someone who works there for a denim needle
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I like Janome. :)
    kimmykim

Answer by kimmykim at 9:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Singer has a BAD reputation anymore. My mom bought a simple one last year and has had nothing but trouble. She has sewn about 4 things on it - simple things like pillowcases for Christmas! - and it now will only sew a straight stitch. All the other stitches are dead. She took it in for repair and the guy told her that this is common for Singers, that he sees them all the time and can pretty much not do anything for them.

I like Janome too. The machines sold at Sears (Kenmore brand) are made by Janome but are less expensive than the name brand ones. I'll be getting a new, fancier one later this year. My current Kenmore machine is over 20 years old and going strong - I just want a some features it doesn't have.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I have never heard of janome I will have to check all this out I a glad I asked this question
    gitanomadre

Answer by gitanomadre at 9:16 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• Well I love my Juki, however it has nothing fancy about it. Just goes forward and back. I love it for piecing and sewing. It is my love, a work horse.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2009