What is safe to use to remove warts from a toddler's feet?

My 2 year old has a wart on the bottom of his foot. Neither DH or I have ever had warts so I don't know what is safe to use. Any suggestions? What causes warts anyway?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Warts are caused by a virus, plantars warts(warts on the bottom of the foot) are very common. A few months ago my 2 year had one too. I went to the store and bought a liquid wart remover, one that doesn't hurt(some burn) and just to be sure I got the ok from the doctor to use it. THe one I got you clean the area, dry it and put the liquid on and wait until it dried(a few seconds) and she was on her merry way again. I did it twice a day for a few weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Warts are caused by a virus. They go away in months or years on their own. My son was in his teens when he had them, and we had them removed by a podiatrist. But there are treatments you can buy over the counter. Ask a pharmacist for a recommendation for a child that age. Or if it isn't bothering the child maybe just let it go.
    I just googled warts and treatment, and the recommendation is that warts on a young child should be seen by a doctor. So this is what I would recommend- have her seen. I'd be interested in what you find out. :)

Answer by Bmat at 10:09 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• you should really be asking your pediatrician if you're that concerned about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I was reading where you could make a paste of aspirin and put it on plantar warts. Cover it with a bandaid. It never hurts to just call the pediatrician

Answer by admckenzie at 11:00 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i had those by my toes before, they hurt pretty bad when you try to walk. mine kept going away and coming back though... so the only way i finally got rid of them for good was to go into my doctor and he cut them off
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Yes it is. My sons doctor said it would be fine. I will let you know that it may take a few months but they will go away! Any wart remover will work.
    tabarismom

Answer by tabarismom at 1:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2009