My LO is almost 8 mts. and whenever there is a sudden loud noise she shakes and then begins to scream and cry. I was wondering if this is normal? Or do we need to get her ears checked for something more serious!

I don't know it just scares me she just recently gotten over a double ear infection as well.

melk819

Asked by melk819 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know, but if you are concerned always ask the doctor. Some kids can be more sensitive to sounds and there is nothing wrong. If it started AFTER the ear infection, that makes sense. Her ears are still probably super sensitive. good luck
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:05 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I expect it is normal. Not that this is relevant, but my granddaughter when she was that age, there was a loud noise and she looked at her mom, when her mom looked over at her, then she started to make a fuss. So make sure it isn't that your child is reacting to your jumping or panic. Check with the doctor at her next appointment, just to make sure.

Answer by Bmat at 10:19 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• The loud noise scared her that's all.

Answer by louise2 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Loud noises startle first causing a jump or shake, then the reflex is to cry, as baby does not know what caused the noise, nor understand why it was so loud.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i dont think she has a problem hearing, i think she is easily startled.. some kids, if they cant see where the loud noise is coming from become scared.. my son heard the lawn maintenance man here the other day and got upset because of the leaf blower so i just showed him where it was coming from and he started to laugh
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:26 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My son is 6 years old now and has always been like that. We still take him "normal" places, but if we know it's gonna be loud, we bring earplugs. He is especially sensitive at parades (sirens and horns) and then again when we took him to a truck show for the same reasons. His pediatrician said he just is sensitive.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 2:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2009