puppy question

So as some of you may know my dog gave birth in january and today is 8 week day and the puppies are all going to their homes. Im concerned it may freak my female out, anyone know how to make this easier for her?? Also i am keeping one of the pups here in my home and im wondering if her maternal instinct will ever calm down? She is getting spayed march 5th and i know that will help her dry up so he (the pup) wont be able to feed from her. Will she ever not be as protective of him? I have an 8 month old so i cant help but be concerned that if my DD gets too close to tommy (the pup) that mama will get upset or nervous? Any advice?

Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 10:05 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Pets

• Once the pups leave, start keeping "Tommy" (I love the name) away from her teats. Keep your eye out so you can prevent it as much as possible. Her maternal protectiveness is not just a mother thing, but a female thing. Natural dog behaviour. You'll always want to re-instill in the dogs who the alpha of the house is - the humans. You should be all set when that understanding is in place.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:18 AM on Feb. 28, 2009