Does anyone know the difference between the stages on baby food? Stage 1,2 and 3?

My son is 6 months

Cara356

Asked by Cara356 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stage 1 is like pureed ...and stage 3 has chunkier stuff in it. My daughter skipped all stages and went straight to solid food but I hope that answers your question!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood4to6montholdbaby.htm

This page has great inormation on when and what foods are in each stage. I plan on referring to it for all of ther stages. If you are past the 4-6 months stage this is the 6-8

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood6to8montholdbaby.htm
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:23 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Thank you girls very much=)
    Cara356

Answer by Cara356 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• The difference between 1 and 2 is the size of the jar. Stage 2 is much more cost effective.

Stage 3 has chunks in it and (according to our pediatrician) is a choking hazard.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• stage one, is to test them out, make sure they arent allergic to anything, and for the supported sitter.. stage two is sometimes a mixture of two foods, and for unsupported sitters
    stage 3 is chunkier and with more options and for the pre-crawler/walker. My son is on stage 2/3 he is 7 months, and chews.. very cute..good thing when they are babies, chewing with an open mouth is the only time in a persons life its acceptable. hahaha...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:24 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• stage 3 has chunks. my DD is 8mos and im still doing stage 2 to test for allergies.. dont worry about rushing to stage 3 (at least im not) i want to make sure she can eat basic foods first
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 12:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Stage 1 is thin and runny. All foods are "single ingredient" foods... just that food and added water to make them runnier.
    Stage 2 is a tiny bit thicker. Some foods are "single ingredient", some are mixed. The label will tell you which is which.
    Stage 3 is thicker and has small chuncks that require some chewing (gumming) action to mash up.

I never used Stage 1. The packages are smaller than stage 2 but cost the same. And the thickness isn't that much different.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• It is all a marketing gimmic, basically. The human race has survived for a long time with our jars of baby food labeled 1, 2, 3.
    You don't HAVE to start with pureed food. You don't HAVE to spoon feed. You can give a small bit of soft food (ripe banana, avocado, cooked sweet potato) on the end of your finger, on put it in front of baby so he/she pick it up and feed it to themselves.
    "Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2009