New to yoga. Help please.

Every time I try yoga I always end up hurting some part of my body, usually my back or neck, maybe its not for me or is this normal and should I keep going? Or am I doing something wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I don't think yoga ever hurt. Are you pushing yourself to far? When you stretch are you you pulling or letting your body stretch naturally?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Ever hear of Bikram yoga?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:02 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• No, don't continue through the pain. How are you learning yoga? I'd recommend through a good teacher, in person. The teacher should check your position and whether you should perhaps try a lighter version of a pose or hold it for less time. At least at first have a teacher, in person. If you hurt after doing your poses, you are straining something or moving unsafely. One thing I learned during my time studying yoga was to take it very slowly and progress at a pace that was natural for me. There is no hurry to do the poses, and there is no advantage to rushing through them. Part of the yoga experience is to learn about your body and how to treat it. Peace.

Answer by Bmat at 11:13 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• my teacher says yoga is yummy and should never hurt, that said about 3/4 the time i am sore afterwards cuz of differents streches. you are probably doing something wrong or pushing yourself to hard...yoga should be yummy..lol
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I want to try yoga too. Maybe this will be the year!
    QueenAdeela

Answer by QueenAdeela at 1:51 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• I fully agree with Bmat!
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 12:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2009