My husband curses too much and it is very troubling to me. How can I deal with it?

My husbands father cursed alot when he was a kid and he says he got it from him and he has alot of trouble controlling it. I am worried that he will do it in front of our son when he is old enough to understand and repeat things. Our son is 4 months old. I don't want the cycle to continue. This is the main thing my husband and I argue about. He thinks I expect too much and that I don't give him enough credit for trying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• A CURSING JAR!! every time he says a cuss word, he has to put a dollar in the jar
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Its aweful I Know! Hopefully he will get your point in time an start curbing it, mine has, but I have a girl, still instill the issue of promanance about the things the both of you wish for your child not to hear and or do. If its a problem he got from his father he will want to stop the cycle maybe just doesnt know how, its kinda hard to break a habit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I cursed like a sailor until I heard my son curse. It was only then the I realized what I was teaching him. I told him it was wrong and that we both had to stop so we unlearned a bad habit together. I allowed him to correct me if he heard me say a bad word. It's a simple matter of behavior modification. If he wants to learn to stop cussing he can. He can put money in the jar if he wants and save it for the baby's college fund or he can exchange a cuss word for another more acceptable word. It might even increase his vocabulary! It gives the brain a second to think rather than blurting out an unacceptable expletive. Instead of Oh Sh*t, I changed and got out the OH and caught myself and went into singing Oh Say can you see..... I was bad about the F word. I had to come up with something on that on and reworded a nursery rhyme with Frick Frack Paddy Whack give a dog a bone! I made it fun for my son and I learned to change my word

Answer by admckenzie at 12:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I have the same problem. My DH really lets some bad words fly! His father is the same way. Until I met my DH and his family I had never heard men curse in front of women (just how my father is). I'm still struggling with it, I want him to stop. And he's gotten better, but let him get aggravated and he's really letting it roll! Wish I could help you!

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My husband use to say the F word all the time along with every other word there is. He was really bad at it, but I know from watching him, he decided he wasn't going to do it anymore and he quit just like that..That's all it takes..Your husband is use to cussing out of habit but he can also get use to not cussing out of habit, he just has to make himself stop. He will slip but it will improve greatly if he is really making an effort and holding his tongue before he blurts it out.
    I've heard my husband in frusteration and raising his voice saying "Where the Fu....Where is my hat?" "I can't find it any where!" So I know it's possible, because my husband has stopped himself plenty of times in mid sentence..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2009