why is my 2 1/2 year old not putting 2 words together and barley says one word words?

lassiepip

Asked by lassiepip at 11:49 AM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would have someone check out her development. She may need some sort of therapy boost.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I would talk to your childs doctor. My son is 26 months and he puts alot of words and even sentences together. I understand everything he says. But chances are its ok. All children learn at their own pace!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 12:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I would talk to your doctor.. my son is 2 and he is sayng over 250 words.. but he is also ahead.. his dr said that for a 2 yr old 20-50 words is normal and 2-3 word sentances. Has he his MCHAT and 2 yr checkup yet? Also ask them to check his ears! My bffs son was only saying about 30 words at 2.5 and non e of them were clear.. come to find he is partailly deaf and had to have his eardrums shaved and tubes put in.. it could be he just is not talker mayeb if he is the youngest his rothers and sisters do alot of talking for him. Its probably nothng major but it wouldnt hurt to have him seen. If he has other "odd behaviors" it could be autsim or something related but if it is just the talking have his ears checked...
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Have you had his/her hearing checked? My son has a mild speech delay and is 2 and a half also. He is finally putting 3words together. Its very frusterating, but you should have your child chaecked out.
    wendylindekugel

Answer by wendylindekugel at 12:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Have him evaluated. He may be fine, he may have a problem. An evalutation will either ease your mind and let you know that he's just taking his time OR it will spot a problem and get him on the road to help. Call your doctor today (if they are open on Saturday's) and make an appointment.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Is he bilingual? That could slow him down. My son is 2 and 1/2 also and he was slow to start speaking. I had him evaluated by a pediatric neurologist as well as a speech therapist (also had his hear checked)...everything checked out fine. He was just behind in that milestone. Most likely because we are 2 language household. I started taking him to speech therapy 1 time a week and put him in preschool from 9 until 12 every morning and his speech has been getting better every day.
    Kimpossible

Answer by Kimpossible at 8:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2009