Are all Christians the same.

I was talking to a friend and she said she would call any Christian a spritual brother/sister. Would you? I told her the KKK considers themself Christian and i refuse to call them anything but awful. What do you think? Am i wrong? She says "we cant pick and choses, or judge, thats not our job". I said "well they are clearly not following what god has asked us to do, in a big way not just minor imperfections. Im talking about hate and killing" I would not want to stand next to a person who did that and say amen in the same prayer as them for there a scriptures against that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Of course not. Are all Muslims the same? Are all atheists the same? Are all agnostics the same? Are all wiccans the same? The answer is always no.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Well, I think there is a difference between calling oneself a Christian and being a Christian. Action goes a long way to show who a person really is.
    Anonymous

• To me, your friend is already being judgemental and "picking & choosing" by excluding non-Christians as her brothers & sisters. We're all human --- we're all related.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I have to agree with anon.. I wouldn't throw the westboro baptist church group together with other christians either.. nor do I throw in other religions with satanisms.. (well I'm atheist so that would be silly of me, lol). It's the person in side that counts... there are radicals out there.. that give other religions bad names.. but being a good person and working hard is what makes the difference between you and them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• PO HERE....Thanks guys i will point out some of those things to her.
    Anonymous

• All Christians are not the same. I was raised in a Southern Baptist Church. Let me just tell you, Southern Baptists can be some of the biggest hyprcrites you will ever come across. There's a saying "When you see a Methodist in the liquor store, he says 'Hey, how are you?' If you see a Baptist, he is hiding behind the vodka rack." lol. Anyway, ALL Southern Baptist aren't that way, I'm just speaking from my personal experience. Christianity and religion can be a very touchy subject. Many people have certain ideas how a Christian should live. But, all that really matters is your relationship with God. Only, he knows what is in a persons heart. People can be thrown off of Christianity because they are judged and condemned by "Christians". Love the sinner, hate the sin. ~Did I make any sense at all??~
    Anonymous

• Ok, sidetracking - how do you decide if someone is really a Christian. Some lines are obvious - a "Christian group" that pickets funerals is delineated from a "Christian group" that supplies food for families after funerals. But what if it's not that clearcut? What if it's one "Christian group" that supports gay marriage and one "Christian group" that opposes it? How about one "Christian group" that disowns a girl who has an abortion vs one "Christian group" that opens its arms to a girl who has an abortion? If you can't have a definite rule that says yes or no (because there are people who will take either side of both of those situations) where is the line? The Klan may be hateful, but some would argue that so are those who deny gay marriage. The Klan may murder, but some would argue the girl who has the abortion did, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Goodness NO! People have different relationships with God and are walking on different spiritual levels. Some of us have had more in depth teaching than others, some have been raised differently, ect.....We all have our own perspectives. A brother or sister in Christ is just referring to someone who is claiming to have become a part of the body of Christ by accepting the sacrifice made on the Cross. I don't usually think too much past that concept. I don't know anyone in the KKK so its not become an issue. I do accept that my brother or sister in Christ is a sinner and therefore isnt going to be perfect.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Absolutely not. Not all christians spew hate, just like not all muslims think its productive to fly planes into buildings. I also think a lot of people call themselves christians when they are really very un-christ like.
    Anonymous

• I don’t think that all Christians are the same. Some Christians believe and a few denominations teach that the bible is literal truth; the earth is only a few thousand years old and that all the different races on the earth descended from two middle eastern people. Other churches take the bible seriously but not literally. I attended a Baptist college and was very surprised to hear what a lot of people learn in the Baptist church. I was told many times that I was going to hell because I was not a born again Christian and my best friend was also going to hell because she was a Catholic. I quickly learned that not all ministerministers preach acceptance and tolerance. Pat Robertson, a very prominent Southern Baptist, once described Episcopalians, Presbyterians, and Methodists as "the spirit of the Antichrist." I don’t mean to badmouth the Baptist religion but this is just my personal and unfortunate experience.
    Anonymous