Does anyone have a child with a mental/physical disability that was caused by some neglect during pregnancy?

Alcohol, drugs, not taking vitamins have all been linked to some disabilities. But I rarely see a mom say, I smoked and therefore my child has breathing problems. Are you/they in denial about this hurtful truth or not?
If you did cause a disability what did you do and what disability does your child have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm with you OP. Time and time again, I've seen people on here saying "I did this or that when I was pregnant and my kids are fine" and much to that nature. The fact of the matter is, they defied the odds. They spun the roulette wheel and it stopped in their favor. They shouldn't be telling other moms that those actions (smoking, not taking vits, drinking) are OK based on their own luck. Science tells us that those things are not healthy. While your children might seem "fine," is it possible that they might be even better had you not done what you did during pregnancy? I'm not inflaming anyone, it is just an honest question that comes into my mind

I can postulate that most women who did drugs and killed/harmed their children with it would not admit it which is why you see the one-sided argument of the issue here. If you want to see children with severe disabilities due to prenatal indescretion, work with my DH.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i have never seen any kid that had problems because of what the mother did in pregnancy my mother did drugs and drank with my younger sister and she is fine 16 yeas old now and my mother also did drugs and i was fine over due and very healthy and still am i have no medical problems i dont ever get sick really (unlessim pregnant)
    yes those thing can cause problems but it is not a for sure thing
    are you asking for a real reason or to just start drama ? i am just wondering
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it didn't happen in someone else's pregnancy and it's not ok to do those things.

Anonymous

• I'm not asking for drama. I don't do that on CM. But I wonder if its one of those topics that is warned about and talked about during pregnancy but once the baby comes out it is taboo.
    Anonymous

• yes i know its not good to do those things but usualy post like this end up being something to bash a mother that smokes or something
    and yes it is talked about usually with drs that is why thru your pregnancy they ask 500,000 times do you drink smoke do drugs anything
    and no these arent the only reasons for kids to have problems and it is kind asad that people think tha tis it the only reason so and so has a mentally challenged kids is becaus ehtey must had drank when they were pregnant
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I know someone that goes to my church that are very responsible people and she didn't take her prenatal vitamins like she should have with her second. He has allergies to just about EVERYTHING. That is believed to be linked because she didn't take her prenatal. He also had that disease or sickness I don't know what it is called where his skin peeled off when he was a baby.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• OP here....what others turn into ignorance shouldnt keep me from getting an answer. I'm sincerely curious. I don't think every challenged child's issues were caused by their mom's neglect. I'm not talking about that all. Just simply whats stated in the question.
    Anonymous

• My mom did drug while pregnant with both of my brothers one died at birth the other was born at 32 weeks weight 2 pounds and is still sick and has breathing trouble. He is 7 years old and only weighs 42 pounds. My three year old weighs 44 pounds. He is always sick. she also smoked during both pregnancies.

Anonymous

• I have seen a few kids with FAS from mom drinking. They do have facial features that indicate a problem. Besides that I've never really seen something a mom did while pregnant take a toll on the child later. I know moms who never smoked and were not near it have kids with asthma. I also know moms who smoked pot while pregnant and had big fat healthy babies with no learning problems. So I think a lot of it is luck of the draw. You can do everything right and get a sick baby and then some people do everything wrong and get a healthy baby.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My mom admits that her smoking during her pregnancies probably had a negative impact on our health. With me she smoked about 5 cigarettes a day. I was born completely healthy, but all my life whenever I get a cold, the cough lasts for months. With my sister, she smoked the same, about 5 a day, but the doctor also put her on an 800 calorie a day diet because she was overweight. (Idiot doctor, obviously) My sister was a premie, weighed exactly 5 lbs and born at 34 weeks. She had chronic ear infections as a baby and toddler, and gets sick often.

I also know a woman who's son was severely disabled because she did drugs and drank when she was pregnant. He died 2 years ago at 10 years old from a heart attack. She still denies that it was her fault he was disabled.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2009