last night at bedtime, my 16mo old didn't want to go to sleep. so i let her cry it out a little and suddenly i hear her start screaming and when i went in her room she was banging her head on the crib. she has a horrible burise on her forehead...

it breaks my heart to see her hurt like that, and i don't understand why she would do that to herself. should i be worried, like should i be talking to a pediatrician about this? i don't think it's normal for a toddler to be banging her head when she is upset so hard that she bruises herself (and then doesn't stop!). also, how do i get her to stop? and how do i handle it when she does it? the bruise is pretty bad and i'm afraid people are going to think i did it or something, and i'm afraid of her really hurting herself. is this my fault? i feel terrible. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes its normal. its called a temper tantrum.
    Anonymous

• Temper, temper, temper. IF there is nothing wrong with her. She is absolutely fine. Let her throw the fit. You might want to put some padding on her crib though.
    Anonymous

• I understand your feelings for her and yes I would ask a pediatrician about this behaivor but for now you did do the right thing on letting her cry it out but for her to do this to herself is a very big no no. I hope she doesn't think now that this is the way you will come running for her to get her way with you. You might just want to start telling her don't do this to yourself you can get very hurt and sometimes mommy might be so asleep that you might not hear her.(Just tell her that even though we both know as mommy's we sleep with one ear open and one eye open. And go from there. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Honey, its the beginning of the 2's. My daughter would always do that, She evently stopped, she would also pull her hair! when she got mad.. but I came to undestand if it starts to hurt her, she will stop. my daughter will be 2 in april, and shes already over it. lol
    Anonymous

• anon 1:16, the problem though is that she doesn't stop when it hurts her. people told me to ignore it and she'll stop and that she'll stop if it hurts, but she doesn't she keeps doing it. that's why she has a terrible bruise on her head and i feel like a crappy mom because i shouldn't have left the room i should have stayed in there and made sure she wasn't hurting herself :((

butterfly, i've explained to her that we don't hurt ourselves when we're upset. i told her that we talk about our feelings and that she can give me a hug when she is upset. it works usually, but i wasn't in the room with her when she did it this last time.

is head-banging a symptom of anything? behavioral or emotional problems or something?
    Anonymous