Weaning Engorgement

Sydda was down to nursing about three times in a 24 hour period but yesterday she only nursed once then she slept through the night. Now I am miserable, also feeling like I'm getting a plugged duct on the left my major producer. I read cabbage leaves could help for engorgement on Kelly Mom. Normally I would pump (for the plugged duct feeling) but I think that would make things worse at this point.... I took some Advil but it didn't really seem to help. Oh Sydda is 20 1/2 months so I'm OK with her weaning, i just want to avoid getting mastitis again.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Syddasmom

Asked by Syddasmom at 12:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you are right to avoid pumping.
    if you're in pain then hand expressing in the shower would be a better way to relieve some of the tightness/pain without stimulating your body to keep producing the same amount of milk.

i have also read that the cabbage can help when you are engorged but i haven't ever tried it firsthand.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I disagree with the pp. When I was going through this with my son I was getting very engorged. I called the lactation consultatnt and she told me to pump. I expressed the same concerns that you have and she told me that if I didn't I would prob. get a clogged duct and have more problems. She told me to just pump a little bit just to relieve the pressure. Also to rub the breast and use warm wash cloths to help with the discomfort. Even though I pumped I was able to stop producing milk. I only pumped a little bit a few times a day and within a few days all the milk was dried up. Hope that helps!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2009