Weaning and Engorgement

Sydda was down to nursing about three times in a 24 hour period but yesterday she only nursed once then she slept through the night. Now I am miserable, also feeling like I'm getting a plugged duct on the left my major producer. I read cabbage leaves could help for engorgement on Kelly Mom. Normally I would pump (for the plugged duct feeling) but I think that would make things worse at this point.... I took some Advil but it didn't really seem to help. Oh Sydda is 20 1/2 months so I'm OK with her weaning, i just want to avoid getting mastitis again.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Syddasmom

Asked by Syddasmom at 12:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Health

• I used cabbage leaves and I swear by it. You just have to make sure you change them often.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• If she went from 3 to 1 feedings I don't see problem in making it a slower weaning for the sake of your body. I would nurse once, pump once to help the problem. Also a nice warm shower helps...I know when I'm full my boobs leak like crazy in the shower.
    Anonymous

• I had a problem with a clogged duct but thankfully it is a fairly easy fix. You can do this one of two ways. A hot compress and massaging the breast (two fingers rubbing in a circular motion around the entire breast). This will also make the milk leak out so be prepared. Or you could do the same thing with a hot shower and less mess.

If your okay with her not nursing anymore then only do this when the pressure really adds up in your breasts so that milk production will slow and eventualy stop.
    crysandlg

Answer by crysandlg at 12:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2009