What do I do? about daughters school kind of long and really need some input!!

Okay so my daughter is extremely smart and loves school but the teacher has been out the last few days. The day before yesterday my daughters school calls me and tells me that my daughter is not feeling well and she wants to come home. THis was the firsgt time all year that she wanted to come home so i knew something wasnt right. The nurse tells me that her temp was well below her normal 99.2 temp. the only time this happens is when she has panic attacks so i wonder what is going on she doesnt want to talk about it tell we get home and then she tells me that the substitute wouldnt let her have calm down time when she had her panic attack and it made her feel bad. My daughters regular teacher allows her to step out in the hall alone for a few minutes so she can get herself together the substitute made her have a full on panic attack including hyperventilation and sweating and shaking in front of the class

elananme

Asked by elananme at 1:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• cont
    so now i am pissed off and I email the regular teacher and she says she wont be back until friday and she will take care of it then. SO yesterday my daughter nervous about going back to school after the panic attack, goes back and i dont hear from the school so i figure she had a decent day. she gets home and tells me about a bruise on her arm that is from another sub throwing books on her arm while she wsa doing her classwork. (after clarification she told me that she dropped the books onto her arm forcefully not actually throwing them) because she was mad and then i find out that other kids in the class got stuff thrown at them or dropped on them by the teacher. She forbid my daughter from reading because the other kids werent done with their class work. my daughter who is an advanced student and has been given permission by both the principal and school board to read anytime as long as her classroom assignments
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• cont
    were complete and she wasnt disturbing other students. I dont know what to do!!! I emaild the principal and found out that other parents had complained about this sub and he expressed his concern that my daughter the day before had had to suffer a panic attack in front of her classmates. what would you have done? would you take this further than the principal? would you keep your child home on days that you know the teacher is going tobe gone if you believe that your child can keep up with the work they might miss? Im really just needing a little support here!! IM so mad i want these subs fired but i dont know if i can do that!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• I had to split it all up into three parts so please read it all and then answer
    elananme

• I would keep on the principal until this particular situation is worked out. For the future, I'd ask the teacher (or principal) to leave a note for any sub about your daughter's panic attacks and about letting her read quietly to herself when finished with work. Good luck.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• If I were you, see how the principal handles it. This sub should not be in your daughter's clasroom right now. If she is not removed, go above the principal's head. If the sub is new and still working on her schooloing, she may just need to be taught the right way and she could get better, but she is clearly not ready to be alone in a classroom yet. And during this process, if the teacher is not removed, have your daughter stay home any time this sub is in the classroom. Tell your daughter she can call you to pick her up any time this teacher is there and make sure the principal knows it so she won't get in any trouble for leaving the classroom. She should of course still be told to respect this sub, but if she asks to leave and the sub won't let her for any reason, she needs to know its ok with you for her to walk out of the classroom and go to the office to call you. Con't.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• On the other hand- Kudos to the teacher for working so well with your daughter and letting her work out her panic attacks and the additional reading when she finishes assignments early! What a great example of a teacher caring enough to help her students advance the best way possible!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• If that substitute teacher should be teaching at all, it should be with students who are old enough and big enough to defend themselves. Physically, if necessary, (you say she is throwing things at students. WTF!) She is clearly not suited for teaching children in the 9-12 year old range. If the princepal doesn't fire her, (and I'm not sure he has the authority) find out who does have the authority and take your documentation to him/her and demand that this teacher not be allowed in your child's classroom again. Tell them you plan to keep your student home or withdraw her from that school if the teacher remains. Schools don't want to lose students, especially advanced placement students like your daughter--they get extra funding for each child. Make SURE your daughter KNOWS she DOES have the right to leave the room, even if the teacher tells her to stay. School is not jail, and your child is not a prisoner.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• To the first question, is your daughter on a 504 plan or is there any other documentation of her panic attacts? If so you need to bring copies and confront the principle with them. Without any paper work it becomes your daughter's word vs. the teacher.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• i dont know what a 504 plan is she had her first panic attack which required hospitalization in kindergarten at school and the school and her doctors and i stay on top of new triggers and the like her regualr teacher and the principal know about her attacks and are flexible about what she needs to do when she has them.The substitute that day was one of those that believes panic disorders are just a childs excuse to get out of classwork. which is not my daughter she is a very advanced student and never scores less than 95 on any classwork. the principal was very distressed when he found out that my daughter was not allowed her calm moment that day. hell every teacher and assistant and employees of the school knows my daughter. they know about her attacks. and they are usually few and far between.the sub didnt follow the teachers directions about my daughters attacks.i love her school and we usually dont have this problem
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 6:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My son has some things in play and there is a teacher who i thought was out of bounds and i have told my son is she does something to call home right away and if they tell him NO go to the principals office and do not leave till he gets ahold of meor my DH.
    This seems to work, i have great homeroom teacher as well but they have someothers who r batty.
    I say if YOU dont feel enough was done call the school board and like my sons honor teacher told me , if you dont stand up for your child the school will not either .
    dita

Answer by dita at 12:40 AM on Mar. 1, 2009