Help with potty trainig!!

So my 2.5 year old son will initiate going to the potty if I leave him without any thing on but a shirt. He will just pee or poop in his underwear or pullup if he has it on. How do we get him to go when he's dressed?? Daycare can't have him go around naked so they are having a hard time too. I have tried all types of rewards but no luck so far. Any suggestions??

marsha78

Asked by marsha78 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used to work at a daycare in the potty training room, I felt it was easiest for them to learn when the parents went striaght from diapers to underwear, no Pull-ups ever!!! Its a lot of work cleaning up after them but I think it helps them understand if I don't do this, I have to sit withmy cloths being wet and poop in my pants, its not a good feeling! I also think it helps aLOT when they see other doing it, when they see the priase and rewards of actually going on the potty, it just takes a lot of hard word and dedication . He'll get the hang of it don't worry!
    sdierker

Answer by sdierker at 1:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My daughter just turned a year old. We have been potty training for about 2 weeks now and so far so good. She pulls her pants down all by her self and sits (hates the children potty's) on the big potty pees and pooy. We made it a very exciting thing. However, be CONSISTANT... Take your child to the bathroom every hour and have him sit on the potty and tell him to pee. If you end up sitting there for 10mins oh well, he'll ge tthe feel on needing to pee and the feel of the potty. Just talk to him about it.. and TAKE the TIME to help him understand.
    1ontheway

Answer by 1ontheway at 4:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Thanx ladies. I actually do and have done all the same things you are suggesting. It really seems like he's kinda lazy. I hate to say that but he can go potty just fine without anything on but doesn't want to make the extra effort to pull down his underwear to go potty! It's just so frustrating.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2009